[Windows 10 Tip] Remove Recently Used Images from Desktop Background History in Settings
In Windows 10 operating system, Microsoft has removed the classic personalization window to change Desktop background image. Now when you right-click on Desktop and select Personalize option to change Desktop wallpaper, it opens Personalization -> Background page in new Settings app.
The background personalization page in Settings app remembers last 5 images used as desktop background previously and shows them above the Browse button. It helps in applying those wallpapers again in future quickly and easily.
Sometimes you may want to remove those recently used images from desktop background history. To clear those background history images, you'll need to select and apply new wallpapers again 5 times and it'll replace previous 5 images with the new images in background history.
By default, there is no option provided to clear desktop background history and remove those recently used images from Settings personalization page.
Don't worry! You can take help of a small Registry tweak to delete all 5 images from desktop background history and restore the default wallpaper images which came preinstalled with Windows 10.
If you also want to remove recently used images from Desktop background history in Settings app, following steps will help you:
1. Press WIN+R keys together to launch RUN dialog box. Now type regedit in RUN box and press Enter. It'll open Registry Editor.
2. Now go to following key:
3. In right-side pane, you'll see following 5 strings:
Each string's value data field contains full image path of the recently used images which are shown in background history section of Settings app.
4. To remove any particular image from background history, delete the associated string from Registry.
To clear all 5 images from background history, delete all 5 above mentioned strings.
5. Now close Settings app and open it again to see the changes. Or switch to another section and then click on "Background" section again in Settings -> Personalization page and you'll notice that all recently used images have been deleted from the history section and default wallpapers have been restored.
If you check the above mentioned strings in Registry, all 5 strings will be re-created and will contain full paths of default Windows wallpapers in their value data field.
PS: If you are not familiar with Registry editing and want a ready-made Registry script to do the task automatically, download following ZIP file, extract it and run the extracted REG file. It'll ask for confirmation, accept it. This script will remove all recently used images from desktop background history and restore default Windows wallpapers in Settings -> Personalization -> Background page:
If you are using Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1, you can try the method given in following tutorial to clear the image location history of Desktop background list in Personalization window:
Thanks to our reader "MagikGimp" for reminding us about the trick...
Posted in: Windows 10
Other similar articles that may interest you
- Windows 10 Upgrade Paths and List of Deprecated Features with Alternatives
- True Burner: Another Free CD / DVD Burning and Copying Software
- Customize “Use Default Homepage” Button URL in Internet Explorer Options
- Make Your Linux Desktop Look-Like Windows 7 Using Transformation Packs
- Download Windows XP SP3, Vista SP1 and 7 Features Comparison Chart
- [Tip] How to Find Out the Date and Time When Windows was Installed in Your Computer?