[Windows 10 Tip] Disable Toast Notifications and Enable Classic Balloon Tips
In Windows 10, whenever a notification message is required to show to the user, its shown in the form of a toast notification. Toast notifications are a part of the new modern UI of Windows 10 which are shown in rectangular shape using slide-in and slide-out animation.
In older Windows versions such as Windows XP or Windows 7, these notification messages were shown as balloon tips. If you miss those classic balloon notifications and want to bring back classic balloon tip again in Windows 10, this tutorial will help you.
Today in this article, we are going to share a useful trick which will help you in disabling new toast notifications and enabling classic balloon tips in Windows 10 as shown in following screenshot:
If you also want to replace modern toast notifications with classic balloon tips in Windows 10, check out following simple steps:
You can restore classic balloon tips in Windows 10 using following 2 methods:
- METHOD 1: Using Group Policy Editor (Gpedit.msc)
- METHOD 2: Using Registry Editor (Regedit.exe)
So without wasting time let's start the tutorial:
METHOD 1: Using Group Policy Editor (Gpedit.msc)
1. Press WIN+R keys together to launch RUN dialog box. Now type gpedit.msc in RUN and press Enter. It'll open Group Policy Editor.
2. Now go to:
User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Start Menu and Taskbar
3. In right-side pane, double-click on "Disable showing balloon notifications as toasts" option and set it to Enabled.
Apply the changes and it'll immediately disable modern toast notifications and enable balloon tips in Windows 10.
PS: If you decide to re-enable toast notifications in future, double-click on "Disable showing balloon notifications as toasts" option and set it to Not Configured again.
METHOD 2: Using Registry Editor (Regedit.exe)
1. Press WIN+R keys together to launch RUN dialog box. Now type regedit in RUN and press Enter. It'll open Registry Editor.
2. Now go to following key:
3. Under Windows key, create a new key and set its name as Explorer
4. Now select Explorer key and in right-side pane, create a new DWORD EnableLegacyBalloonNotifications and set its value to 1
5. Restart your computer or restart Explorer to take effects.
PS: If you want to re-enable toast notifications later, either delete the EnableLegacyBalloonNotifications DWORD or set its value to 0.
NOTE: If you are not familiar with Registry editing and want a ready-made Registry script to do the task automatically, download following ZIP file, extract it and run the extracted REG file. It'll ask for confirmation, accept it:
Posted in: Windows 10
Other similar articles that may interest you
- Get Windows Vista DreamScene Feature in Linux
- [Fix] List of Common Problems in Activating Windows Vista
- Comparison Between Windows 7 and Windows 8 Memory Management System
- [Tip] How to Show More Apps with Small Icons in Windows 8.1 Apps Screen
- Finally a Way to Enable Transparency in Windows 8 Without any Bug or Glitch
- [Tip] Customize Text Shadow and Button Transparency Effects on Windows 7 Login Screen