[Windows 10 Tip] Disable “About:Flags” Page in Microsoft Edge Web Browser
You might be aware of the fact that the new "Microsoft Edge" web browser in Windows 10 comes with a hidden secret advanced configuration page which can be accessed using about:flags URL. Once you open this secret page in Microsoft Edge, it allows you to customize and tweak several developer related settings and experimental features.
Microsoft made this secret about:flags page in Edge browser by inspiring from similar hidden secret advanced configuration pages which come in other 3rd party web browsers such as Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome and Opera. All these web browsers also come with such hidden configuration pages to enable/disable several advanced settings and options.
Since this secret about:flags page in Microsoft Edge provides many experimental features to enable or disable, it might sometimes affect the browser's functionality and performance. Sometimes you may get undesired results after changing these options.
Recently an AskVG reader asked us how to prevent users from accessing this about:flags page in Microsoft Edge web browser? Actually many times other people can open this about:flags page without your knowledge and change given options and you may face problems while browsing a few websites. In such situations, restricting access to about:flags page will be the best solution.
Today in this tutorial, we are going to tell you how to disable "about:flags" page in Microsoft Edge web browser in Windows 10. Once you follow the steps given below, no one will be able to open about:flags page. It'll show "You can't access this page. Your organization doesn't allow it" message as shown in following screenshot:
If you also want to restrict about:flags page in Microsoft Edge web browser, check out following simple steps:
You can restrict about:flags page in Microsoft Edge using following 2 methods:
- METHOD 1: Using Group Policy Editor (Gpedit.msc)
- METHOD 2: Using Registry Editor (Regedit.exe)
So without wasting time let's start the tutorial:
METHOD 1: Using Group Policy Editor (Gpedit.msc)
1. Press WIN+R keys together to launch RUN dialog box. Now type gpedit.msc in RUN and press Enter. It'll open Group Policy Editor.
2. Now go to:
Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Microsoft Edge
3. In right-side pane, double-click on "Prevent access to the about:flags page in Microsoft Edge" option and set it to Enabled.
Apply the changes and it'll immediately disable about:flags page in Microsoft Edge web browser.
PS: If you decide to re-enable about:flags page in future, double-click on "Prevent access to the about:flags page in Microsoft Edge" option and set it to Not Configured again.
METHOD 2: Using Registry Editor (Regedit.exe)
1. Press WIN+R keys together to launch RUN dialog box. Now type regedit in RUN and press Enter. It'll open Registry Editor.
2. Now go to following key:
3. Under Microsoft key, create a new key and set its name as MicrosoftEdge
4. Now create another new key under the new MicrosoftEdge key and set its name as Main
So the final path would be:
5. Now select Main key and in right-side pane, create a new DWORD PreventAccessToAboutFlagsInMicrosoftEdge and set its value to 1 to disable about:flags page in Microsoft Edge web browser.
NOTE: If you want to re-enable about:flags page later, either delete the PreventAccessToAboutFlagsInMicrosoftEdge DWORD or set its value to 0 and it'll immediately enable about:flags page.
PS: If you are not familiar with Registry editing and want a ready-made Registry script to do the task automatically, download following ZIP file, extract it and run the extracted REG file. It'll ask for confirmation, accept it:
Posted in: Windows 10
Other similar articles that may interest you
- [Windows 10 Tip] Disable Number of Badge Notifications on Taskbar Buttons
- Get Windows Vista Look-Like MSPaint in Windows XP
- Replacer: Free Portable Utility to Replace System Files in Windows
- How to Change or Customize Start Button Text in Windows Using Resource Hacker?
- [Video] New Features in Windows 7 Release Candidate (RC)
- Remove Product Key and Reset License Information of Microsoft Office Using Office Key Remover