Windows 10 Mobile RTM Now Available for Windows Phone 8.1 Devices
Finally after taking so much time in development and testing, Microsoft has released Windows 10 Mobile operating system for selected Windows Phone 8.1 devices. For your knowledge let us tell you that Windows 10 RTM was already available for PCs since long time but Microsoft didn't release Windows 10 RTM i.e. final version for mobile phones.
Today i.e. March 17, 2016, Microsoft has started rolling out Windows 10 Mobile OS to a few selected devices having Windows Phone 8.1 OS.
Until now Windows 10 Mobile Preview builds were available for testing purposes only and users could download and install it in their Windows Phone devices by joining Windows Insiders program but now you can install the RTM version of Windows 10 Mobile in your Windows Phone 8.1 device if its eligible for the upgrade.
List of Supported Windows Phone 8.1 Devices:
Microsoft wanted a smooth upgrade experience for Windows Phone users, that's why Windows 10 Mobile is only available for a few selected devices at the moment. The devices which can be upgraded to Windows 10 Mobile are as following:
Lumia 1520, 930, 640, 640XL, 730, 735, 830, 532, 535, 540, 635 1GB, 636 1GB, 638 1GB, 430, 435, BLU Win HD w510u, BLU Win HD LTE x150q, MCJ Madosma Q501
More devices can be added to the upgrade list in coming days.
How to Install Windows 10 Mobile Update in Windows Phone 8.1 Devices?
To upgrade to Windows 10 Mobile, you'll need to download and install Upgrade Advisor (or Update Advisor) app from Windows Store on your phone. You can also download and install it from following direct download link:
After installing Upgrade Advisor, run the app to see if the Windows 1o Mobile update is available. Once it shows the update is available, select "Enable Windows 10 Upgrade" option. Now you can open Phone Settings and then go to Phone Update section and check for new updates. It'll start downloading Windows 10 update files.
Things to Know and Remember Before Upgrading to Windows 10 Mobile:
Before upgrading to Windows 10 Mobile, you need to make sure following things:
- You are running Windows Phone 8.1 GDR1 QFE8 or later version in your device
- You have at least 1.4 GB free space on your phone to download Windows 10 Mobile OS files
- You'll need Wi-Fi connectivity to download the upgrade files
- After upgrading to Windows 10 Mobile, following features might be missing: Notifications on contact tiles, Me Tile, Me Card, Hey Cortana, Indoor maps
- Cortana is currently only available in the United States, United Kingdom, China, France, Italy, Germany and Spain
- Speech-to-text is currently only available in the United States (English), United Kingdom (English), China (Simplified Chinese), France (French), Italy (Italian), Spain (Spanish), Germany (German), Canada (English), Australia (English), India (English) and Japan (Japanese)
- Music and video streaming through Groove Music (formerly Xbox Music) or Movies & TV apps is not available in all regions
- Xbox app and some games and features only available in Xbox Live supported countries and regions
- Skype is available only in select countries and regions
Windows 10 Mobile upgrade is free, if your Windows Phone 8.1 is eligible for the upgrade, you should definitely install Windows 10 Mobile in your device.
Btw if you upgrade to Windows 10 Mobile and later you decide to rollback to previous Windows Phone 8.1 operating system, you can do this using Windows Device Recovery Tool.
Other similar articles that may interest you
- How to Enable Secret “Click and Hold Context Menu” Option in Mozilla Firefox?
- Add Control Panel, Task Manager, Windows Update and Other Useful Shortcuts with Icons in My Computer Context Menu
- JumpPad: Free Tool to Get Mac OS X Lion “Launchpad” in Windows Vista and 7
- Enable Hidden Secret Animation in Details Pane of Windows Vista and 7 Explorer
- Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 System Requirements
- Introducing Windows 8: Download Free Windows 8 e-book from Microsoft