[Windows 10 Fun Tip] Disable Login Screen and Lock Screen and Enable Console Mode
Today in this tutorial we are going to share an awesome Registry tweak which will definitely please a lot of Windows 10 users who want to disable Lock Screen and Login Screen.
When Microsoft released the new Windows 10 Anniversary Update, they disabled the previous registry tweak to disable Lock Screen. That's why we posted a new tutorial to get rid of the Lock Screen in the new Windows 10 builds:
If you were not satisfied with that method, here is a new trick for you to disable graphical Login Screen (also known as Logon Screen and Welcome Screen) and Lock Screen in Windows 10. With the help of this new method, you'll be able to replace both Login Screen and Lock Screen with a new text console UI.
Actually Windows 10 comes with a hidden secret Console Mode which can be used to disable graphical Login Screen and Lock Screen and enable a text console (or you can say a terminal) which allows you to enter your password to sign in or to switch between users.
Following is a screenshot of the hidden secret Console Mode live in action:
This Console Mode might be very helpful if you want to disable Lock Screen in Windows 10. Also enabling Console Mode may also speed up your computer as it removes the graphical Login Screen. This Console Mode will completely remove Lock Screen and Login Screen at system startup.
So if you also want to replace Login Screen and Lock Screen with classic Console UI in Windows 10, check out following steps to enable the secret Console Mode:
1. Press "WIN+R" key combination to launch RUN dialog box then type regedit and press Enter. It'll open Registry Editor.
2. Now go to following key:
3. In right-side pane, create a new DWORD ConsoleMode and set its value to 1
That's it. Now try to lock your computer by pressing WIN+L keys together to try to restart or log off, you'll see the new Console UI instead of the graphical Lock Screen and Login Screen.
PS: If you are not familiar with Registry editing and want a ready-made Registry script to do the task automatically, download following ZIP file, extract it and run the extracted REG file. It'll ask for confirmation, accept it:
The ZIP file also contains a restore registry script to restore graphical Lock Screen and Login Screen.
After using this Registry tweak, the Lock Screen and Login Screen will be completely removed. You'll always see the text console whenever you login, restart or shutdown your computer. The text console will show all messages such as welcome, restarting, shutting down, etc.
Thanks to our reader "A.J." for sharing this trick...
PS: If you are wondering what does the other XamlCredUIAvailable DWORD do present under same Registry key, check out following tutorial:
Posted in: Windows 10
Other similar articles that may interest you
- How to Restore Missing “Desktop (create shortcut)” Item in Send To Menu in Windows?
- PlacesBar Editor: Customize Default Places Bar in Common File Dialog Box in Windows and Office
- Get Windows XP Style Classic “All Programs” List in Start Menu of Windows Vista and Windows 7
- [Direct Download Links] Genuine Windows Vista RTM with SP1 Setup Files (32-bit and 64-bit)
- How to Change Power Button Action in Windows Vista to Shut Down the System instead of Sleep?
- Create Simple Script to Close and Restart Explorer Automatically in Windows