What is Windows 8 Promo Code and How to Get or Use it?
We all know that Microsoft has released Windows 8 final version (RTM) to public and now anyone can purchase and install Windows 8 in computer. You can either do a fresh installation of Windows 8 in your PC or you can upgrade your existing Windows OS such as Windows XP, Vista or Windows 7 to Windows 8. Check out following articles for more information:
- How to Download or Order Windows 8 Setup DVD Online?
- [Windows 8 Upgrade Path] How to Upgrade from Windows XP, Vista or 7 to Windows 8?
When you download or order Windows 8 online using "Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant", it allows you to enter a promo code as shown in following screenshot:
This promo code is optional. If you don't know about this code, this article will help you.
Actually this "Promo code" is promotion code which works like a discount coupon. If you enter a valid promo code in the order form, you can get a discount and you'll need to spend less money i.e. $14.99 while purchasing Windows 8.
Now the question comes how to get this promo code? This promo code is provided by Microsoft to the customers who purchased a Windows 7 PC after June 2, 2012 as mentioned here.
Although this offer is valid only for the customers who qualify the above mentioned condition but it seems currently the offer is working for everyone. At the moment anyone can get a free promo code and can use it while purchasing Windows 8 to get the big discount.
You just need to follow these simple steps to get the promo code:
1. First of all open windowsupgradeoffer.com which contains the official Windows 8 upgrade offer page.
2. Click on your country name.
3. Now click on "Continue" button present at next page.
4. Now you'll need to fill the given form. You just need to enter your name, email ID, telephone number and a few details about your existing Windows 7 PC such as date of purchase, PC brand and model number. Although you should enter the correct details but it seems the form doesn't check the validity of the details and you can enter any information but the date of purchase should be greater than June 2, 2012.
5. Click on "Continue" button and you should get your free promo code in your Inbox.
You can register up to a maximum of 5 PCs to get more than one promo code.
So initially the upgrade offer was introduced for Windows 7 PC owners who purchased the PC after June 2, 2012 but now anyone can get its benefit. May be its an intentional move from Microsoft to encourage more people to purchase Windows 8 legally as it costs very less amount using the promo code in comparison of the actual cost of Windows 8 i.e. $39.99 for digital download and $69.99 for DVD shipment.
Posted in: Windows 8 / 8.1
Other similar articles that may interest you
- [Windows 10 Tip] Show / Hide Number of New Notifications on Action Center Icon in Taskbar
- Enable Hidden Secret Control Panel Items in Windows Vista and Later
- [Guide] Things To Do After Installing Windows 10
- Microsoft Removes “Get Windows 10” (GWX) App from Windows 7 and 8.1 Computers
- [Fix] Remove “Test mode Windows 7 build 7600 or 7601” Message (Watermark) from Windows 7 Desktop
- First Screenshots of Google Chrome OS