Update Your Windows Using Mozilla Firefox, Opera or Any Other Web Browser
If you use Microsoft Windows, you might know about its "Automatic Updates" feature. It automatically downloads and installs (based upon its settings) Microsoft updates which fix many security and compatibility issues and sometimes add new functionality.
You can also manually update Windows using Microsoft Updates website. But the website only works in Internet Explorer. If you try to open the website in any other web browser like Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Opera, etc, you get following message:
Thank you for your interest in obtaining updates from our site.
To use this site, you must be running Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 or later.
To upgrade to the latest version of the browser, go to the Internet Explorer Downloads website.
If you prefer to use a different web browser, you can obtain updates from the Microsoft Download Center or you can stay up to date with the latest critical and security updates by using Automatic Updates. To turn on Automatic Updates:
- Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Security.
- Click Security Center, and then make sure Automatic updating is turned on.
To enhance the security and performance of your computer, make sure Windows automatic updating is not turned off.
So you need to use IE in case of manually updating Windows. But now you can download and install updates using any other web browser like Mozilla Firefox, Opera, Netscape, K-Meleon, etc.
"WindizUpdate" is a plugin which allows users of Mozilla Firefox, Firebird, Opera, Netscape and K-Meleon to update their Windows using Microsoft Updates. You simply need to install the plug-in and then open windizupdate.com in your browser. Now you can scan for new updates and install them without IE.
It lists just the updates you need. If an update has been superseded by a newer one, it will not ask you to install the older one.
Also it is not restricted to just Microsoft products. Software from other vendors can also be updated.
So just head over to following website and enjoy Microsoft Updates in your favorite browser:
NOTE: If you face any problem while installing the plug-in, then download its installer from following link:
Other similar articles that may interest you
- Get Windows Vista DreamScene Feature in Linux
- [Bug] Taskbar Context Menu won’t Close in Windows 7, 8 and 8.1
- How to Disable Full Row Select Functionality in Windows Vista and Later Explorer?
- Will Your PC Run Windows Vista? Check Yourself Using Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor
- Transform Windows XP into Windows Vista without using Customization Pack
- How to Install and Use Custom 3rd Party Themes in Windows?