We all know that Windows 7 is the first Windows OS which allows you to customize its login screen (aka welcome screen or logon) look-n-feel without any help of 3rd party utilities. In previous Windows versions such as Windows XP or Vista, we needed 3rd party software such as Tuneup Utilities or Logon Studio to customize login screen background and other things. But in Windows 7, Microsoft introduced some Registry tweaks which can be used to change login screen background image, button set, etc.
We have posted 2 detailed tutorials in past which allow you to tweak and customize Windows 7 login screen look without using any 3rd party software. You can read them at following links:
- How to Customize Windows 7 Login Screen without Using 3rd Party Software?
- How to Customize Windows 7 Login Screen Text and Button Set
Apart from changing background image and buttons, text shadow and transparency effects, you can also remove unwanted items from login screen such as shutdown button, ease of access button and Windows branding logo. For removing these unnecessary stuff from Windows 7 login screen, we take help of our favorite customization tool Resource Hacker.
You can find the how-to guides for removing extra buttons and logos from Windows 7 login screen at following links:
- How to Remove Shutdown Button from Windows 7 Login Screen?
- How to Remove "Branding Logo" and "Ease of Access" Button from Windows 7 Login Screen?
You can also customize ease of access button action and set it to launch your favorite program at login screen using following secret tweak:
And if you want to go further and want to customize the messages and strings which are displayed by Windows at login screen such as welcome, type your password, etc, you can take help of following tutorial:
The above mentioned articles require manual editing of Windows Registry and system files but there are many free software available which allow you to customize Windows 7 login screen within seconds. You just need to select the desired options or background image and once you apply the changes, the software automatically modifies required files or Registry keys to take affects.
We have shared many such freeware in past to customize Windows 7 login screen UI, you can check them out at following links:
- 7 Logon Changer: Change Windows 7 Login Screen on the Fly
- Customize Windows 7 Login Screen Using Account Screen Editor
- Download Windows 7 Logon Screen Rotator to Rotate Login Screen Background Image
- Stardock LogonStudio: Change Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 Login Screen
- Windows 7 Logon Changer: Advanced Tool to Customize Windows 7 Login Screen
- Logon Editor: Advanced Login Screen Editor for Windows 7
So take your time and enjoy tweaking and customizing Windows 7 login screen. If you know any other trick or software for customizing Windows 7 login screen, feel free to share it in your comment...