[Tip] What is “UpdatusUser” Folder and How to Remove it from Windows Explorer?
Recently an AskVG reader "Jeff" contacted us regarding following issue:
Please tell me how to delete UpdatusUser FOLDER? This folder is located under C:\Users directory. I tried to remove it but Windows didn't allow me to remove it. I never created any such user in my computer. Is it a virus symptom? How can I get rid of UpdatusUser folder from my Windows?
Actually "UpdatusUser" folder is automatically created by NVIDIA graphics card driver installer. If you or Windows Update installed required drivers for nvidia graphics card in your computer, it automatically creates a new user account "UpdatusUser" for update purposes. This user account is used by nvidia to update the graphics card driver whenever available. Since a new user profile is created by the driver setup, it also creates a new folder "UpdatusUser" in C:\Users directory. That's why you see that strange folder inside Users directory.
Lets tell you there is no need to worry about this folder or user account as its completely safe. This user account doesn't have local login permissions so no one can use this user account to logon to your computer.
If you still want to remove "UpdatusUser" folder and user account from your Windows, there are many ways to do it. In this tutorial, we'll share some easy to follow methods to get rid of "UpdatusUser" folder from C:\Users directory in Windows.
METHOD 1: Uninstall NVIDIA Update Component
Since "UpdatusUser" user account and folder is created by nvidia update service, you can simply uninstall it from Control Panel and it'll remove the user account and folder automatically. To uninstall nvidia update, follow these simple steps:
1. Open Control Panel and click on "Programs and Features" icon.
2. You'll see NVIDIA Update present in the installed programs list:
3. Click on NVIDIA Update entry and then click on "Uninstall/Change" button present in the toolbar.
4. It'll open the uninstallation wizard which will confirm your choice whether you want to uninstall NVIDIA Update service. Accept the confirmation and it'll uninstall the service within a few seconds.
NOTE: New NVIDIA driver setup comes with a new utility "NVIDIA GeForce Experience" instead of the old "NVIDIA Update" utility. So if you don't see NVIDIA Update listed in programs list, look for "NVIDIA GeForce Experience" entry and uninstall it.
That's it. Once you uninstall NVIDIA Update service, it'll automatically remove the "UpdatusUser" user account and folder from your system.
METHOD 2: Remove "UpdatusUser" Account Using Computer Management
If you don't want to uninstall NVIDIA Update or if you face difficulties in uninstalling it, you can manually remove "UpdatusUser" account from your system which will automatically delete "UpdatusUser" folder from Windows Explorer.
1. Right-click on Computer (or This PC) icon and select Manage option. It'll open Computer Management window. Alternatively, you can directly open it by using compmgmt.msc command in RUN dialog box.
2. Now go to "Local Users and Groups -> Users" and in right-side pane, you'll see "UpdatusUser" present in users list.
3. Right-click on "UpdatusUser" entry and select Delete option. Or click on "UpdatusUser" entry and press Delete key on your keyboard.
4. It'll ask for confirmation, accept the confirmation and it'll remove the "UpdatusUser" user account and folder from your computer.
METHOD 3: Take Ownership of "UpdatusUser" Folder and Delete
If nothing works, you can take ownership of "UpdatusUser" folder using following methods:
- Add "Take Ownership" Option in Files and Folders Context Menu in Windows
- [Guide] How to Take Ownership of a File or Folder Manually in Windows?
After taking ownership, you'll be able to delete the folder without any problem.
=== === === === === === === === ===
If you don't want NVIDIA to create this new user account and folder in your system, make sure to uncheck "NVIDIA Update" option while installing nvidia graphics card driver in future. If you uncheck this option, NVIDIA will never create "UpdatusUser" account and folder in Windows.
Other similar articles that may interest you
- How to Convert MP3, Wav and Other Media Files into AAC or M4A Formats Using iTunes
- How to Enable New “Compact Navigation” Feature in Google Chrome? Make Toolbar and Addressbar Auto-Hidden
- Get Windows 7 Calculator Working in Windows Vista
- [Fix] New Insider Preview Builds of Windows 10 Not Showing on Windows Update
- Download Free Windows 8 Metro Theme for WinRAR Archiver
- How to Get XP Style Classic “Network Connections” Back in Control Panel in Windows Vista and Later?