[TIP] Make Photo Viewer App in Windows 7 and 8.1 Metro Style
Almost everyone is aware of the term Metro UI or Modern UI which was introduced by Microsoft in Windows 8. Microsoft tried to make everything clean and simple in Metro UI of Windows 8. Microsoft removed Aero glass transparency, reflection, blur and all other eye candy effects from Windows 8 user interface. Although its possible to bring those Aero glass transparency and other eye candy effects in Windows 8 and 8.1 with the help of this tutorial but that's another story.
Microsoft tried to put Metro UI everywhere in Windows 8 and 8.1 but they didn't update the UI of built-in Photo Viewer program. Windows Photo Viewer still features the previous Windows 7 style glassy buttons in its toolbar as shown in following screenshot:
If you love the new Metro UI in Windows 8.1 but don't like the glassy look of Windows Photo Viewer app, this tutorial will definitely please you.
Today in this tutorial, we are going to share a small trick which will convert Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 Photo Viewer program into Metro style. It'll change the default glassy and shiny buttons in Windows Photo Viewer with Metro style buttons as shown in following screenshot:
If you are using Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 and want to make Windows Photo Viewer Metro style, just follow these simple steps:
1. To change the look of Windows Photo Viewer program, we'll replace an existing DLL file "PhotoViewer.dll" in Windows with a new DLL file. This new DLL file contains Metro style graphics which will be used by Windows Photo Viewer to show Metro style toolbar buttons in its UI.
Thanks to JosephSM @DA for modifying the DLL file and sharing it with all of us.
So first of all download the DLL file using following link:
You'll find the download button at the top-right corner of the webpage.
2. After downloading the RAR file, extract it using 7-Zip or WinRAR program and you'll get following 2 folders:
- Windows 7
- Windows 8.1
Both folders contain required PhotoViewer.DLL file for respective operating systems. Open a folder and you'll find following 2 folders inside it:
If you are using 64-bit edition of Windows 7 or 8.1, then you'll need to use the file present in "x64" folder. If you are using 32-bit edition of Windows 7 or 8.1, use the file present in "x86" folder.
3. Now you'll need to replace existing PhotoViewer.dll file present in "C:\Program Files\Windows Photo Viewer" folder with the new downloaded file.
First take ownership of the existing DLL file with the help of following tutorial:
4. Now rename the PhotoViewer.dll file present in "C:\Program Files\Windows Photo Viewer" folder to some other name such as PhotoViewer_bak.dll.
5. Now copy new PhotoViewer.dll file from correct folder (Windows 7 or Windows 8.1) and paste in "C:\Program Files\Windows Photo Viewer" folder.
That's it. Open any image in Windows Photo Viewer and get ready to enjoy the new Metro style UI.
PS: To restore default look in Windows Photo Viewer program, rename the new PhotoViewer.dll file in "C:\Program Files\Windows Photo Viewer" folder to some other name such as PhotoViewer_new.dll and rename previous PhotoViewer_bak.dll file to PhotoViewer.dll.
Other similar articles that may interest you
- Force Caps Lock, Num Lock and Scroll Lock Keys Behavior Using Windows Registry
- Best Free Desktop Email Clients and Alternatives to Microsoft Outlook
- How to Disable Google Chrome Built-in Spell Checker?
- [Tip] How to Show Full Webpage URLs in Opera Addressbar?
- Download Windows XP SP3, Vista SP1 and 7 Features Comparison Chart
- BSNL Broadband Service “DataOne” Sending E-mails If You Cross Free Usage Limit