[Tip] Enable Hidden Secret “Developer Options” Menu in Google Android Mobile Phones and Tablets
We here at AskVG love to find and share hidden secret stuff in mobile phones and other gadgets. Long time back we shared a huge list of hidden secret codes for Google Android mobile phones:
The codes given in above mentioned topics help you in accessing several hidden menus and options which are generally accessible to service engineers only. These codes also help you in upgrading device firmware and restoring the device to factory settings.
Today we are going to share another hidden secret stuff for Google Android device users. Many of you might be aware of "Developer Options" menu present in Android mobile phones and tablets. "Developer Options" menu was put in Settings page of Android OS to help developers in testing their apps and other functionality and features of the OS.
In older versions of Android OS (from 2.0 to 4.1), the "Developer Options" menu was directly visible to all users in Settings page. But Google decided to hide the "Developer Options" menu in newer Android versions such as Android 4.2 Jelly Bean and later. The decision to hide the menu was taken so that normal users can't use this advanced menu as it may harm OS functionality and may enable unwanted testing features.
Now in newer Android OS versions "Developer Options" menu is hidden by default but can be enabled or activated using a secret trick. You can consider it as an Easter egg.
So today in this topic, we are going to share the secret trick to turn the hidden "Developer Options" menu on in new versions of Google Android operating system. With the help of this trick, you can enable "Developer Options" menu in both mobile phones as well as tablets running on Android OS.
If you also can't see the "Developer Options" menu in your Android mobile phone or tablet, just follow these simple steps to activate and enable the menu:
STEP 1. First of all open Settings page of your Android mobile phone or tablet.
STEP 2. Now you need to open "About Device" (or About Phone / About Tablet) section. In old Android versions, this section can be found at the bottom of Settings page. In newer Android versions such as Android 4.4 KitKat, the "About Device" section has been moved to a new tab "More" in Settings page.
STEP 3. Once you open "About Device" section, scroll down to bottom to see "Build Number" option. In newer smartphones, the "Build Number" option might present under "Software Info" section.
STEP 4. To activate and add "Developer Options" menu, you need to tap on the "Build Number" field 7 times.
Start tapping "Build Number" field and as soon as you tap the field 3 times, Android OS will show a message that "You are now 4 steps away from being a developer".
After tapping the "Build Number" field 7 times, you'll get a message "Developer mode has been enabled" and the "Developer Options" menu will be automatically activated and enabled in Settings page.
STEP 5. Now you can enable or disable various advanced option using "Developer Options" menu such as:
- Stay awake (always turn the screen on while charging)
- Stats about running processes
- Show CPU usage
- USB debugging mode
- Allow mock locations
- Show visual feedback for touches
- Show pointer location on screen
- Flash screen to show updates
- Disable or modify animations and transition effects to improve performance
- Force GPU rendering
- Do not run activities in background when user closes them
NOTE: This trick to enable "Developer Options" menu will work in all mobile phone brands having Android OS such as Samsung Galaxy, Sony, HTC, Google Nexus, LG, Motorola, Micromax, etc.
PS: The interface of Settings page in your Android mobile phone or tablet might differ from the interface shown in above screenshots as above screenshots were taken using Google Android 4.2 ISO image running in virtual environment in Windows.
- [Tip] Enable Hidden Secret "System UI Tuner" Menu in Google Android Mobile Phones
- Hidden Secret Codes for Samsung Galaxy Mobile Phones
- [Tip] Enable Hidden Secret Features in Samsung Galaxy Smartphones
- Hidden Secret Easter Eggs and Daydreams in Google Android Devices
- Revealing Hidden Secret Service Menu in Tata Sky and Airtel Digital TV
- Revealing Hidden Secret Service Menu in Dish TV DTH Set Top Box
- Revealing Hidden Secret Service Menus in Sony and LG Televisions
Posted in: Gadgets & Internet
Other similar articles that may interest you
- Transform Windows Vista into Windows 7 without using Customization Pack
- Download OSX Yosemite Login Screen for Windows XP and 7
- Download Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 RTM Themes and Wallpapers for Windows 7
- Download “Vista Seven” Theme for Windows Vista
- Adobe Providing Photoshop CS2 and Other Products Free for Download? Not Really!!!
- Download VistaVG Icon Pack to Get Windows Vista Icons in Windows XP