[Tip] Enable Dark or Light Theme Modes in Windows 10
Do you remember the Registry tweak to enable hidden secret dark theme mode in Windows 10 Insider Preview builds? Long time back we shared the Registry tweak to apply the secret dark theme mode in almost all modern (metro) apps in Windows 10 builds which can be found in following tutorial:
The registry trick required creating a new DWORD "AppsUseLightTheme" (in final RTM build) or "SystemUsesLightTheme" (in older testing builds) in Registry Editor to apply the hidden secret dark theme across all apps.
In initial Windows 10 testing builds, there was also a keyboard shortcut (hotkey) "CTRL+T" to toggle between dark theme and light theme in Windows Store app.
The feature was kept hidden as it was under development and now in recently released Windows 10 Anniversary Update, Microsoft has enabled the feature to public.
Following screenshot shows the new dark theme live in action:
Now anyone can enjoy the dark theme mode in modern apps without modifying the Registry. A new option has been added to Settings app to toggle between dark and light themes.
If you are dark or black theme lover and want to enjoy the dark theme mode in Windows 10, following steps will help you:
1. Open Settings app from Start Menu or by pressing WIN+I keys together.
2. Now go to Personalization -> Colors section.
3. Scroll down to bottom and you'll find a new option "Choose your app mode". Just select your desired app mode: Light or Dark and it'll immediately apply the selected theme mode in Settings, Windows Store and other modern apps.
The changes are instant. You can keep whatever theme you want to enjoy across all modern apps.
Posted in: Windows 10
Other similar articles that may interest you
- Enhance Windows Taskbar Auto-Hide Functionality Using Taskbar Activate
- How to Disable or Remove “Get Windows 10 Upgrade” App and Icon from Taskbar?
- How to Enable “Group Policy Editor” (gpedit.msc) in Home and Starter Editions of Windows 7 and Later
- How to Remove Search Box from New Tab Page in Mozilla Firefox?
- How to Remove Watermark (Build Number Info) from Desktop in Windows Vista, 7 and Server 2008?
- Download X-Setup Pro for FREE: Ultimate Tweaking Software for Windows