[Tip] Disable Material Design UI and Incognito Mode Dark Theme in Google Chrome
If you are using newer Google Chrome web browser versions, you might have noticed the new flat UI which is called "Material Design". In the new UI, the icons, tabs and other things look a lot flatter. Tabs are larger and contain sharp corners, icons are thinner and different than previous versions. The hamburger menu has also been replaced by a new 3 dots menu.
Following screenshot shows the new Material Design UI in action:
And following screenshot shows the previous classic UI of Google Chrome:
If you don't like the new Material Design UI of Google Chrome and want to bring back the previous UI, here is a good news for you. Fortunately, Google provides a way to turn off the new Material Design UI in Google Chrome new versions.
You can follow these simple steps to disable new Material Design and restore previous classic UI in Google Chrome:
NOTE: Following method will also disable the new dark theme which you get on Incognito mode.
1. Open Google Chrome web browser and type chrome://flags/ in addressbar and press Enter. It'll open the advanced configuration page.
2. Now press "Ctrl+F" keys together to launch find box and type material in the find box.
It'll directly go to following option:
Material Design in the browser's top chrome (Mac, Windows, Linux, Chrome OS)
Sets the material design elements in the browser's top chrome.
3. Select Non-material option from the drop-down box.
4. Click on "Relaunch Now" button and it'll restart Google Chrome web browser.
That's it. It'll disable the new Material Design and apply classic UI back in Google Chrome.
PS: You can also set following options to Disabled for disabling new Material Design in other parts of Google Chrome such as User Manager, History, Settings pages, etc:
Enable Material Design User Manager
Use material design user menu
Enable Material Design history
Enable Material Design settings
NOTE: If you like the new Material Design and want to enable it in other areas such as bubbles, dialog boxes, etc, you can enable following option in chrome://flags page:
Material Design in the rest of the browser's native UI
Thanks to our reader "OppfinnarJocke" for sharing the tip...
Posted in: Google Chrome
Other similar articles that may interest you
- Download Windows 8 Free Developer Preview
- Download Free Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010 60-Day Trial Version
- TheWorld: New Web Browser Based on Internet Explorer Rendering Engine
- How to Change “Get More Gadgets Online” Link in Windows Vista and 7 Sidebar Gadget Gallery Window?
- How to Get Conditional Forward Button in Mozilla Firefox?
- How to Fix “Windows NT Setup Files Detected” Error Message While Running UXTheme Patcher in Windows XP