[Fix] “This File does not have a Program Associated with it for Performing This Action” Error Message in Windows
Sometimes Windows users face a strange problem while running games, 3rd party programs or opening files. They get following error message:
This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Programs control panel.
It happens when "IsShortcut" string value for LNK filetype is missing in Windows Registry. It might be deleted by a 3rd party tweaking software or by you to remove the shortcut arrow from icons.
If you are also facing this problem, follow these simple steps and your problem will be fixed:
1. Type regedit in RUN dialog box and press Enter. It'll open Registry Editor.
Now go to following key:
2. In right-side pane, right-click in empty area and select New -> String Value option. Now set its name to IsShortcut
3. That's it. Close Registry Editor and restart your Windows. It'll fix the problem.
Other similar articles that may interest you
- [Software Update] CCleaner 5.22 Now Available for Download
- How to Change or Customize Start Screen Background, Start Menu and Start Button in Windows 8?
- WinUpdatesList: Displays List of All Windows Updates Installed in Your Windows
- [Review] What’s New in Microsoft Office 2013?
- [Tip] Enable Hidden Secret “Profile Manager” Feature in Google Chrome
- [Windows Tip] Disable “This App is Preventing Shutdown or Restart” Screen