How to Disable New Ribbon UI in Windows 8/8.1 Explorer?
Yesterday we posted a very easy to use trick to temporarily disable Ribbon UI in Windows 8 Explorer. We used the built-in Full Screen mode to disable Windows 8 Explorer ribbon:
This method proves that the old Windows Vista or 7 style command bar is still present in Windows 8 Explorer and the new ribbon is simply hiding it.
And today our friend "Lee Whittington" shared another simple method to completely remove ribbon from Windows 8 Explorer. This method involves renaming a system file present in Windows 8 which is responsible of showing ribbon in Windows 8 Explorer.
This method will permanently remove ribbon from Windows Explorer in Windows 8 and you'll get Windows Vista and 7 style Explorer as shown in following screenshot:
So without wasting time lets start the tutorial:
1. Open Windows Explorer and go to C:\Windows\System32 folder. Here we are assuming that Windows 8 is installed in C: drive in your computer. If you installed Windows 8 in any other partition, replace C: drive with the correct drive letter.
2. Now look for a file UIRibbon.dll.
3. Now you'll need to take ownership of this DLL file. You can use any of following 2 methods to take ownership of UIRibbon.dll file:
- How to Add "Take Ownership" Option to File or Folder Context Menu in Windows?
- [Guide] How to Take Ownership (Permission) of a File or Folder Manually in Windows?
4. Once you take ownership, rename UIRibbon.dll file to any other name such as UIRibbon_bak.dll or UIRibbon.old or any other name.
5. That's it. Restart your system and you'll no longer see ribbon in Windows 8 Explorer.
UPDATE: A few users reported that it might cause Wordpad and Paint applications not working as these applications also use ribbon UI. To overcome this problem, you can use Windows Vista's Wordpad and Paint in Windows 8 using following tutorials:
- How to Get the Good Old MS Paint (without Ribbons) Working in Windows 7?
- How to Get the Good Old Wordpad (without Ribbons) Working in Windows 7?
Or you can use a new method mentioned in following tutorial:
Posted in: Windows 8 / 8.1
Other similar articles that may interest you
- How to Disable or Customize Alert Box Animation in Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird?
- How to Use Windows 8 Developer Preview for One More Year?
- Download Windows 8 RTM Metro Theme for Mozilla Firefox
- [Windows Tip] Replace “Ease of Access” Button with Other Programs on Login Screen
- [Tip] Add Secret “Purge Memory” Button in Google Chrome Task Manager
- A Complete Guide for Tweaking User Account Control (UAC) in Windows Vista and Later