Start8: Get Start Button (ORB) and Classic Start Menu Back, Load Desktop on Login and Disable Hot Spots in Windows 8
We all know that Microsoft has removed the good old Start button and Start Menu from Windows 8.
Start Menu and Start button were 2 essential components of Windows OS but Microsoft has replaced them with new Start Screen. Start Screen is not a perfect and complete replacement for Start Menu. You can check out following article which discusses the issue in details:
We have shared a detailed guide recently which helps you in getting Start button and Start Menu back in Windows 8. You can find the guide at following link:
Today we are going to share a new software released by Stardock which is a well known Windows customization software company.
"Start8" is a
free software for Windows 8 which brings back Start button (ORB) and Start Menu in Windows 8 and also allows you to skip Metro Start Screen and load Windows Desktop on login. It can also disable hot spots (or hot corners) in Windows 8 such as Charms Bar, App Switcher, etc.
As soon as you install the software, it immediately adds the Start ORB to Taskbar and when you click on it, you get a Windows 7 look-like Start Menu in Windows 8 as shown in following screenshot:
This Windows 7 style Start Menu comes with many useful features such as:
- You can search for Windows 8 Metro apps using Start Menu
- You can access Start Screen from Start Menu
- You can pin Desktop and Metro apps to Start Menu
- Provides full support for Jump Lists
- Provides fast access to power options
- Automatically matches Taskbar color
Also when you right-click on the Start ORB, you get following options (some options will not show if you are using new Windows 7 style Start Menu):
- On login go to the desktop
- Use the classic style Start Menu
- Disable Windows 8 desktop hotspots
- Show Full screen Metro Start Menu
- In small mode defaults to apps page
- Allow WinKey to show fullscreen menu
- Non fullscreen size
- Pick a different Start Button image
If you enable "On login go to the desktop" option, you'll be able to skip new Metro Start Screen on login and Windows 8 will boot directly into Desktop.
If you disable "Use the classic style Start Menu" option, you'll get Windows 8 Start Screen in mini mode when you click on Start ORB.
"Disable Windows 8 desktop hotspots" option allows you to disable Windows 8 hot corners such as Start button thumbnail, App Switcher and Charms Bar.
If you enable "Show Full screen Metro Start Menu" option, the Start ORB will launch default Start Screen in full screen mode instead of showing it in mini mode.
If you disable "In small mode defaults to apps page" option, the Start ORB will launch Start Screen in mini mode but will not show apps page. Instead it'll show normal Start Screen with live tiles.
"Allow WinKey to show fullscreen menu" option will allow you to access default Metro Start Screen by pressing WIN key.
You can customize size of Start Menu with the help of "Non fullscreen size" menu.
Using 3rd option "Pick a different Start Button image", you can change Start ORB image. The software comes with many built-in ORB images.
Having "Run" and "Shutdown" options in context menu is a bonus.
You can download it using following link:
Other similar articles that may interest you
- Download Windows Vista Theme for Sony Ericsson Mobile Phone
- Close All: Small Tool to Close All Running Program Windows On The Fly
- Add “Hide” and “Unhide” Options in File / Folder Context Menus in Windows
- How to Disable Live Tiles Feature for All Apps in Windows 8 and Later?
- IETester: Test Websites Compatibility With Different Internet Explorer Versions
- [Tip] Get Classic MS Paint (without Ribbons) in Windows 7 and Later