We all know about new Start Screen present in Windows 8 which shows live tiles of built-in and installed programs. It also shows various useful tiles such as weather, RSS feed, etc. Microsoft has replaced old Start Menu with this new Start Screen in Windows 8.
If you want to pin new items to Start Screen, you can pin it by right-clicking on the desired item and select "Pin to Start" option. But this option is not available for all items. The "Pin to Start" option is available for folders but its not available for all files and shortcuts. Many times you might need to pin an important document, text file or a shortcut to Start Screen. In such situations, you can take help of this tutorial.
In this tutorial, we'll tell you a very simple way to pin anything to Windows 8 Start Screen whether its a file, folder or a shortcut. This method doesn't require any software or Registry tweak. Its very simple to follow.
1. First of all right-click on the file which you want to pin to Start Screen and select "Create shortcut" option to create a shortcut of the file.
2. Now copy and paste following text in RUN dialog box and press Enter:
It'll open the classic "Start Menu" folder which is still used to store Start Screen shortcuts similar to previous Windows versions.
3. Now cut the file shortcut which you created in step 1 and paste it in "Start Menu" folder which you opened in step 2.
4. Now go to Start Screen and press "Ctrl+Tab" keys together to show "All Apps" page.
5. Here you'll see the file shortcut which you created earlier. Right-click on the file shortcut and click on "Pin to Start" option.
That's it. It'll immediately pin the file shortcut to Start Screen.
NOTE: If the shortcut doesn't appear in "All Apps" screen, try to move the shortcut from "Start Menu" folder to "Start Menu\Programs" folder.
Other similar articles that may interest you
- Hidden Thumbnail Switch to Toggle Between Windows 8 Start Screen and Desktop Applications
- Download Windows Vista Dark Theme “VistaVG Black” for Windows XP
- Download Free Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) Screensaver to Scan Your System When Its Idle
- BlueStacks: Run Google Android and Windows Together in Parallel
- [Tip] Convert Start Screen into a Full Screen Start Menu (kind of) in Windows 8.1
- OpenOffice.org: Best Free Alternative to Microsoft Office Suite