[Solution] File & Folder Names are not Visible in Windows Explorer
After receiving a few emails about this problem, today I decided to write a solution for this annoying problem.
Many Windows users face a problem in Windows Explorer, when they can't see file or folder names in a specific folder. Only file and folder icons are visible but their names are hidden as shown in following screenshot:
Here is a small step-by-step tutorial to fix this problem:
For Windows XP:
1. Open the folder which has this invisible name problem.
2. Now select "Details" from View menu.
3. Press and hold SHIFT key, right-click in empty area and select "View -> Thumbnails".
4. It'll toggle the file/folder names.
Actually its a feature to show/hide file names while in Thumbnails mode.
For Windows Vista and Later:
1. Open the folder which has this problem.
2. Right-click in empty area and uncheck "View -> Hide File names" option.
3. If this option is not available, press and hold SHIFT key, right-click in empty area and select "View -> Medium Icons" option.
NOTE: If above solution doesn't work, enable "Show hidden files and folders" option in Folder Options and then delete "Desktop.ini" file present in the folder which has this invisible name problem. Thanks to our reader "Adiman" for this tip...
Other similar articles that may interest you
- Windows 8 Start Menu Toggle: Free Utility to Toggle Between New Start Screen and Old Start Menu
- Extra Desktops: Free Utility to Get Multiple Virtual Desktops in Windows XP and Vista
- Get Windows 7 Desktop Context Menu in Vista, Add “Screen Resolution” and “Gadgets” Options
- Download Free Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010 60-Day Trial Version
- How to Select Multiple Tiles and Show Bottom App Bar on Start Screen in Windows 8.1 Update 1?
- Download Windows XP Luna, Royale Blue and Zune Themes for Windows 8 and 8.1