Many times people face problems while opening .EXE files.
- The EXE file opens in Notepad.
- EXE file opens in some other installed programs.
- Windows displays "Open With" dialog box to choose the program.
- Windows shows error message, "Windows cannot find .exe file. Make sure you typed the name correctly".
Most of the times it happens when you accidentally change .Exe file type settings from Folder Options. Sometimes it might happen due to virus.
Anyway no need to worry. Here is a solution which will fix this annoying problem:
METHOD A: Using Ready-Made Registry Script
Download following ZIP file, extract it and run the extracted REG file. It'll ask for confirmation, accept it. It should solve the problem.
METHOD B: Manually Editing Windows Registry
1. Open Command Prompt by typing command in RUN dialog box.
2. Now provide following command:
3. It'll activate Windows folder. Now provide following command to open Registry Editor:
NOTE: If you can't open "regedit", press CTRL+ALT+DEL keys and open "Task Manager". Now click on "File" menu and hold down the "CTRL" key and click on "New Task" menu. It'll open a Command Prompt window. Now provide regedit.exe command and press Enter. It'll open registry editor without any problem.
4. Now go to following key:
In right-side pane, change value of Default key to exefile
5. Now go to:
In right-side pane, change value of Default key to:
6. That's it. Now exit Registry Editor and restart your Windows. Now you should be able to open EXE files without any problem.
METHOD C: Using Microsoft Fixit Tool
Microsoft has also released an automatic Fixit tool to fix this annoying problem. This Fixit tool is based on the same method given above in this tutorial.
You can download it using following link:
Don't forget to check solutions for other common PC problems in following topic:
Other similar articles that may interest you
- 7Plus: A Free Tool to Tweak Windows Vista and 7 Explorer, Add Hotkeys, Tabs, Context Menu Entries
- [Solution] .REG Registry Files Always Open with Notepad in Windows
- How to Add “Defragment” Option in Drive Context Menu in Windows XP, Vista and 7
- How to Disable Numerical File Name Sorting and Enable Classic Literal Sorting in Windows XP, Vista and 7 Explorer?
- [Fix] “The Update is Not Applicable to Your Computer” Error Message While Installing Windows 8.1 Preview from Store
- How to Customize “Organize” and “Layout” Menus in Command Bar in Windows 7 Explorer