[Solution] Cannot Change Desktop Wallpaper in Windows
Many times Windows users face a strange problem. When they try to change the desktop wallpaper from Desktop Properties, following things happen:
- Wallpaper list as well as Browse button is disabled.
- They apply the desired wallpaper but desktop doesn't show it. It remains empty.
If you are also facing such problems, this tutorial will help you in fixing the issue. Such kind of issues might occur if there are some kind of restrictions exist in Registry which are preventing users from customizing Desktop wallpaper. Many times these issues occur if the active desktop feature is enabled.
Simply follow these simple methods to fix this problem:
METHOD 1: Using Ease of Access Center
1. Open Control Panel, click on "Ease of Access", then click on "Ease of Access Center" and then click on "Make the computer easier to see" link.
Alternatively, you can directly open the page by running following command in RUN dialog box:
2. Now disable "Remove background images (where available)" option and apply the changes.
Thanks to our reader Rafael for sharing this method...
METHOD 2: Using Registry Editor
If Method 1 doesn't work, then do as following:
1. Type regedit in RUN dialog box and press Enter. Now go to following keys one by one:
2. Under these keys, if you see "ActiveDesktop" key, delete it.
3. Now Look for "System" key under "Policies" key. If you find it, then select it and look for a string value "Wallpaper" in right-side pane. If it exists, then delete it.
4. Restart your system and you should be able to set the wallpaper.
METHOD 3: Using Desktop Context Menu
Right-click on Desktop and make sure "Lock Web Items on Desktop" option is not enabled in "Arrange Icons by" menu. If its enabled, then disable it and your problem should be solved.
- How to Restrict Users from Changing Desktop Wallpaper in Windows?
- How to Enable / Disable Changing Themes, Wallpapers and Other Desktop Settings?
Other similar articles that may interest you
- Download Norton 360 Security Suite 6.0 Free Beta
- New “AWESOME” Easter Egg Found in YouTube Website
- [Tip] What is “UpdatusUser” Folder and How to Remove it from Windows Explorer?
- How to Disable or Customize Alert Box Animation in Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird?
- 3 Secret Hidden Tabs “Search, Available Updates, Recent Updates” Found in Mozilla Firefox 4.0 Beta Add-ons Manager
- Download New Windows 8 Blue Login Screen for Windows 7