[Skin] Get Windows 10 Look-Like Start Menu in Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 and 8.1
We know that Start Menu has been added back into Microsoft's upcoming OS Windows 10. After getting a huge demand for the good ol' Start Menu, Microsoft has finally decided to put Start Menu back in Windows 10 operating system.
Microsoft has tried to make Windows 10 Start Menu a combination of both classic Start Menu as well as the new Windows 8 Start Screen. Windows 10 Start Menu shows the classic programs shortcuts along with live tiles of installed apps, programs and system shortcuts such as Control Panel, etc.
Since Windows 10 is under development and testing, many people are not using it but what to do if someone wants to stay with Windows XP, Windows 7 or Windows 8 but also wants to test and enjoy Windows 10 style Start Menu in his Windows version?
Don't worry! Today in this article, we are going to share an excellent skin created by our friend PeterRollar which will try to bring Windows 10 style Start Menu in earlier Windows versions. It comes in 4 different colors: Blue, Brown, Green and Red.
After following this tutorial, you'll be able to get Windows 10 look-like Start Menu in Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8/8.1.
So without wasting time lets start the tutorial:
1. To be able to enjoy this Windows 10 Start Menu skin, you'll need to first install one of the best Start Menu alternatives for Windows i.e. ViStart tool.
You can download and install ViStart using following article:
2. Now its time to download and install ViStart skin to enjoy Windows 10 Start Menu in your Windows.
First download Windows 10 Start Menu skin for ViStart from following link:
3. After downloading the RAR file, extract it using 7-Zip, WinRAR or other file archive utility and you'll get following files and folders:
- Windows 10 Start menu Ferrari
- Windows 10 Start menu green
- Windows 10 Start menu brown
- Windows 10 Start menu blue
4. Now close ViStart by right-clicking on its system tray icon and selecting Exit option.
5. Now type %appdata%\ViStart\_skins in RUN dialog box and press Enter. It'll open ViStart skins folder.
6. Copy all 4 skin folders from extracted from the RAR file in step 3 and paste them into %appdata%\ViStart\_skins folder.
7. Now go to parent folder "ViStart" using Up button (or ALT+Up hotkey) and then go to Languages folder. Here you'll see a file English.xml.
Rename this file to some other name such as English_bak.xml and then copy English.xml file extracted from RAR file in step 3 and paste it into Languages folder.
8. That's it. We have installed the required skins for ViStart. Now its time to apply these skins in ViStart.
Launch ViStart using ViStart.exe file present in the same ViStart folder and then open its Options window using system tray icon.
In the first Style tab, you'll see the newly installed Windows 10 Start Menu skins present in Start Menu drop-down menu. Select any desired skin and it'll immediately apply that skin in ViStart Start Menu.
That's it. Now you are ready to enjoy Windows 10 look-like Start Menu in all previous Windows versions.
- Download Windows 10 Themes for Windows 7
- Download Windows 10 Themes for Windows 8 and 8.1
- Download Windows 10 Wallpapers and Lock Screen Backgrounds
- Download Windows 10 Official 4K Wallpaper
- Download Windows 10 Official Hero Wallpaper
Other similar articles that may interest you
- Download Windows 8 Lock Screen Style Metro Clock Screensaver
- [Guide] What does IA64 or Itanium-Based System Mean? Is It Different from x64 (64-Bit)?
- Microsoft Launched “Automated Troubleshooting Services” to Fix Common Maintenance Problems for Windows XP and Vista
- Download Windows 7 Boot Screen for Windows XP and Vista
- Download OSX Yosemite Login Screen for Windows XP and 7
- [Windows 10 Tip] Remove Cortana, Microsoft Edge, Contact Support and Feedback Apps