Revealing Hidden Secret Service Menu in Dish TV DTH Set Top Box
There are many DTH (Direct-To-Home) television service providers in India such as Tata Sky, Dish TV, Airtel Digital TV, Reliance Big TV, Videocon D2H, Sun Direct, etc and Tata Sky and Dish TV are the most popular brands among them.
In past we have shared a secret trick to access hidden service menu in Tata Sky and Airtel Digital TV Set Top Box which allows you to setup LNB, format hard disk, perform master reset and much more:
Today its turn of Dish TV. Last week my cousin sister got a new Dish TV connection. It was an HD+ connection i.e. the set top box provides a few HD (high-definition) channels and also allows to pause, rewind, record live TV channels.
When the service guys finished installation of dish antenna, she asked me to check the quality of new connection and adjust various built-in settings. When I was looking into menus, I found an interesting menu "Utility" present in STB Info -> Setup section. When I tried to open the menu, it asked for a password.
I tried various password combinations such as 0000, 1234, 12345, 123456, 1111, etc but none of them worked. I was not able to access the Utility menu. I contacted Dish TV customer care and asked them about the password but as usual they had no idea about it. Then I contacted one of my friends who works in Dish TV and he told me the correct password. When I entered the password, I was able to access a hidden secret service menu in Dish TV set top box which was quite similar to Tata Sky service menu.
So today in this article, I'm going to tell you the correct password of Utility menu present in Dish TV set top box settings which will help you in accessing a secret service menu.
If you are a Dish TV user, you'll definitely love it.
DISCLAIMER: This information is intended for experienced users. Please do not try any of following methods if you are not familiar with set top boxes. We'll not be responsible for the use or misuse of this information, including loss of data or hardware damage. So use it at your own risk.
1. Open Dish TV settings and go to Help tab. Now open STB Info option as shown in following image:
2. It'll open a new page where some information is shown related to Dish TV STB. Now press Red button on your remote to enter into STB Setup screen.
3. It'll open "Installation Main Menu" screen where you'll find various menus such as Home frequency, LNB Setup, Forced software upgrade, Restore factory settings, etc.
4. Among all options present in "Installation Main Menu" screen, you'll find Utility option present at 7th position. Try to open it and it'll ask for password. The correct password of Utility menu is 86427531. Enter the password and now you'll be able to open Utility menu.
Utility menu contains following 2 options:
- Format Hard disk
I have no idea what the "Download" option does. It might be possible that this option was put to download and install latest firmware of Dish TV set top box but I'm not sure.
"Format Hard disk" option will format the USB device attached to set top box which is used to record TV programs.
Please keep in mind that both these options don't ask for confirmation. If you select any option, it'll immediately start performing its action. So think twice before selecting any option.
That's it. If you are a Dish TV DTH subscriber, feel free to test the password and service menu and share your feedback in your comment...
Posted in: Gadgets & Internet
Other similar articles that may interest you
- Download Microsoft Office 2007 Service Pack 2 (SP2)
- How to Change Email Storage Location in Windows Live Mail
- [Did You Know] Google Chrome Allows You to Pin Website Shortcuts on Windows Taskbar, Start Menu and Desktop
- TaskbarEx: Move, Rearrange and Detach Taskbar Buttons in Windows XP
- Transform Windows Vista into Windows 7 without using Customization Pack
- [Review] Samsung Galaxy S4 with Google Android 5.0 Lollipop