Registry Tweak to Decrease Window Border Size and Padding in Windows 8 and Later
The biggest UI change in Windows 8 RTM is the removal of Aero Glass. Microsoft introduced Aero Glass UI in Windows Vista which was also available in Windows 7 but Microsoft has completely removed Aero Glass from Windows 8.
Since there is no glass transparency available in Windows 8, the program windows such as Windows Explorer, etc look a little bit bulky because of the thick border. It used to look nice in Windows Vista and Windows 7 because there was Aero glass transparency in it but without glass transparency window borders in Windows 8 don't look good as shown in following screenshot:
The border size and padding could be customized using "Advanced appearance settings" option present in Desktop Personalization window in Windows Vista and Windows 7 but Microsoft removed this option from Windows 8 as mentioned here. So now you can't increase or decrease the size of window borders in Windows 8.
Don't worry! If you don't like the window border size in Windows 8, we are going to share a small registry tweak which will allow you to decrease border size and padding and you'll get thin borders in Windows 8 as shown in following screenshot:
So without wasting time lets start the tutorial:
1. Press "WIN+R" key combination to launch RUN dialog box then type regedit and press Enter. It'll open Registry Editor and go to following key:
2. In right-side pane, look for following 2 Strings:
These 2 strings store the border size and padding settings which you used to customize using advanced appearance settings option in previous Windows versions.
By default, BorderWidth string is set to -15 and PaddedBorderWidth is set to -60.
3. Double-click and change the values of both strings BorderWidth and PaddedBorderWidth to 0 as shown in following screenshot:
You can play around with the values to control window border size and padding.
4. That's it. Close Registry Editor and restart Windows to take effect. After reboot, you'll get thin borders in Windows 8.
PS: If you want to restore default borders, simply change both string values to the default i.e. -15 for BorderWidth and -60 for PaddedBorderWidth.
NOTE: If you don't want to modify Registry yourself, download following ready-made Registry script which will do the whole task automatically for you:
After downloading, extract the ZIP file and run the extracted REG file. It'll ask for confirmation, accept it. ZIP file also contains another Registry script to restore default border size.
Are you using Windows 8 RTM? Do you like the default borders? Feel free to share your feedback in your comments...
Posted in: Windows 8 / 8.1
Other similar articles that may interest you
- Download Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14393 Offline ISO Files
- Get Windows 7 “Show Desktop” Taskbar Icon in Windows XP and Windows Vista
- Get New Windows 8 Metro Start ORB (Start Button) in Windows 7
- Master Tutorial to Make Windows 8 / 8.1 Super Fast
- [Fix] “View” Tab is Missing in “Folder Options” Dialog Box in Windows
- Hidden Secret Trick to Exit Explorer Using Start Menu in Windows Vista and 7