[Registry Method] How to Prevent Themes to Change Desktop Icons & Mouse Pointers in Windows 7 and Later?
Windows 7 and later come with lots of bundled themes which can be applied using Desktop Personalization window. You can also download many free Windows themes using Microsoft official Windows 7 theme gallery.
But almost all these themes come with their own pre-defined mouse cursors and Desktop icons and when you apply a theme, it changes the Desktop icons and cursors automatically without even asking you. It becomes annoying when you have manually changed them in past.
You can prevent themes to change icons and cursors by changing a few options in Mouse and Desktop Icons settings. You can read following tutorial which shows how to do the task:
You can also use Registry Editor to do the same task and today in this tutorial, we are going to share the registry method.
Follow these simple steps to prevent themes to automatically change Desktop icons and mouse cursors in Windows 7 and later using registry:
1. Type regedit in RUN or Start Menu Searchbox and press Enter. It'll open Registry Editor.
2. Now go to following key:
3. In right-side pane, create or modify following 2 DWORD values:
And set their values to 0
4. That's it. Now themes will not change Desktop icons and mouse cursors automatically.
PS: If you want to don't want to manually change registry, download following registry scripts to do the task automatically. After downloading, extract ZIP file and run the desired registry script:
Other similar articles that may interest you
- Add Your Favorite Application or Shortcut Under RUN in Windows XP Start Menu
- [Review] Comparison Between Airtel Digital TV (ADTV) and Tata Sky DTH Services in India
- Download Windows 8 Concept Login Screen “Gloosh” for Windows 7
- Windows 10 Anniversary Update (Version 1607) RS1 and RS2 Changelog
- How to Fix Annoying Folder View Type Change Problem in Windows
- List of Important Changes from Windows 7 Beta to Release Candidate (RC)