How to Pin Any File, Folder or Program Shortcut to Start Screen in Windows 8 and Later?
We all know about new Start Screen present in Windows 8 and later which shows live tiles of built-in and installed programs. It also shows various useful tiles such as weather, RSS feed, etc. Microsoft has replaced old Start Menu with this new Start Screen in Windows 8.
If you want to pin new items to Start Screen, you can pin it by right-clicking on the desired item and select "Pin to Start" option. But this option is not available for all items. The "Pin to Start" option is available for folders but its not available for all files and shortcuts. Many times you might need to pin an important document, text file or a shortcut to Start Screen. In such situations, you can take help of this tutorial.
In this tutorial, we'll tell you a very easy and simple way to pin anything to Windows 8 and later Start Screen whether its a file, folder or a shortcut:
1. First of all right-click on the file which you want to pin to Start Screen and select "Create shortcut" option to create a shortcut of the file.
2. Now copy and paste following text in RUN dialog box and press Enter:
It'll open the classic "Start Menu" folder which is still used to store Start Screen shortcuts similar to previous Windows versions.
3. Now cut the file shortcut which you created in step 1 and paste it in "Start Menu" folder which you opened in step 2.
4. Now go to Start Screen and press "Ctrl+Tab" keys together to show "All Apps" page.
5. Here you'll see the file shortcut which you created earlier. Right-click on the file shortcut and click on "Pin to Start" option.
That's it. It'll immediately pin the file shortcut to Start Screen.
NOTE: If the shortcut doesn't appear in "All Apps" screen, try to move the shortcut from "Start Menu" folder to "Start Menu\Programs" folder.
- How to Pin a Folder or Drive Directly to Taskbar in Windows 7 and Later?
- How to Pin Computer, Recycle Bin & Other Shortcuts to Taskbar in Windows 7 and Later?
Other similar articles that may interest you
- Remove Product Key and Reset License Information of Microsoft Office Using Office Key Remover
- Download Windows XP Luna, Royale Blue and Zune Themes for Windows 7
- List of Windows UI Resources to Customize Using Resource Hacker
- Download Windows 7 WindowBlinds (WB) Skin with Aero Glass for Windows XP
- [Fix] Network Connections Folder is Empty in Windows, Not Showing Network Adapters List
- Mysterious KB2866518 Update for Windows 8.1 Preview