Today Windows Live Team announced about a new feature in Windows Live Hotmail. Now you can send instant messages by logging into your Windows Live Hotmail account. You don't need to install Windows Live Messenger.
Here is what the WL Team says:
Instant messaging from the web is here! Now you can send instant messages from the Windows Live Hotmail and People pages! This means that, even if you're on a public computer where Windows Live Messenger isn't installed, you can still send IMs to your Messenger contacts!
Customers in Brazil, Canada, China, Germany, the Netherlands, Norway, and USA will see this feature for the first time today (as usual, rollout to different individuals is gradual, so if you don't see it yet, please be patient). This feature rolled out to users in France, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Spain, and the UK last month. Not in your area yet? We will be rolling out web-based Messenger to more locations in the coming months.
Here's what you get with the new web Messenger:
- You can sign in to and send instant messages from any computer connected to the Internet, even if it doesn't have Windows Live Messenger installed.
- You can also send IMs to your Messenger contacts from the People page (your contact list). Just click the contact's picture, and you'll see Send an instant message on the dropdown menu.
- In Hotmail, if one of your Messenger contacts sends you e-mail, you'll see their Messenger availability indicated in green, yellow, or red right by their name. If it's green, click it and instantly start chatting.
- If you have more than one Windows Live ID, you can sign in to web Messenger and regular Messenger at the same time, with different IDs.
- Don't worry, people can only see your availability if you've agreed to be their Messenger contacts. You can sign in and use Hotmail or any other Windows Live service without signing in to web Messenger, so nobody can start chatting with you until you decide to let them know you're available.
So log into your Windows Live Hotmail account and check whether you are one of the lucky ones or not. ;)