Mysterious KB2866518 Update for Windows 8.1 Preview
Here is something interesting to share! Today I got a notification on Windows 8.1 Preview login screen that some Windows updates are ready to download and install. I opened Windows Update from Control Panel and found a new update "KB2866518" was available for download as shown in following screenshot:
I always read the update information first before downloading and installing it in my system. The official information given in Windows Update window was as following:
Update for Windows 8.1 Preview for x64-based Systems (KB2866518)
Download size: 15.7 MB
You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.
Update type: Recommended
Please report the issue to the SESH email alias, or file a bug (you can go to http://sesh for directions on how to do this).
More information: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2866518
Help and Support: http://support.microsoft.com
The update information was a little strange, so I clicked on "More information" link to read more about the update. It launched following official Microsoft KB page:
I was surprised to see "The page you are looking for may have a new location, or is no longer available" error message shown at the official page.
I decided to investigate the issue and searched on Google about KB2866518 update. I found 2 threads at official Microsoft forums about the same issue. A few users were also trying to find information about this mysterious update but there were no official words from Microsoft.
What do you think about this update? Did you also receive the same update in Windows 8.1 Preview? Feel free to share your comment about this mysterious update...
UPDATE: One AskVG reader "FrancisForward" faced problems after installing this update. So it would be beneficial to avoid this update at the moment.
Posted in: Windows 8 / 8.1
Other similar articles that may interest you
- Copy or Write Bootable IMG Files to USB Drives Using Win32 Disk Imager
- Get Google Chrome Text Field Resizing Feature in Mozilla Firefox
- [Fix] Can’t Apply “Windows Aero” Theme After Applying “Windows Basic” Theme in Windows 7
- [Tip] How to Check Running Apps List in Android 6.0 Marshmallow and Later Versions
- Download AeroVG Ei8ht and Ei8ht.1ne Themes for Windows 8 / 8.1
- [Fix] Google Chrome Showing XP Style Classic Blue Titlebar in Windows Vista, Not Using Aero Glass Theme