MSI Explorer: Free Tool to Analyze and Edit Windows MSI Files
Most of developers are quite familiar in creating MSI or Setup for our applications. By using a MSI, they can make sure all dependencies for running the application will be placed properly. MSI is the best option available on Windows OS for packaging and distributing our application. For .NET developers, Visual Studio presents lot of features in creating setup and deployment projects for application.
But, there are no built-in tools in Visual Studio to look into the MSI contents. And that too, to make a small change in MSI, it requires rebuilding the entire Setup Project.
That's why our friend "Sateesh Arveti" @ TechNet Blogs has created an application "MSI Explorer" that analyzes the MSI and gives the details of it along with capability of updating it without rebuilding.
- It allows to look into the contents of the MSI
- It allows to export the contents of the MSI
- It allows to update commonly changing properties without rebuilding it
- Easy to use UI.
- Now, Updating an MSI is quite simple
Simply use Browse option and click on Analyze for analyzing the selected MSI in the tool. Output will be like this, when we open MSI:
By using this application, we can easily view and update the MSI without extra effort.
Posted in: Software
Other similar articles that may interest you
- Microsoft Office 2016 Preview Version 16.0.4229.1024 Available for Download
- Registry Tweak to Change Message Store Folder in Windows Live Mail Email Client
- [FIX] Internet Explorer Metro Tile Missing from Windows 8 Start Screen or Metro IE Doesn’t Start
- How to Change Default File Save Location in Microsoft Office?
- [Tip] How to Add and Keep Speed Dials in Android’s Stock Phone Dialer App