Microsoft has confirmed an issue in Windows XP, Vista and 7 which causes random incorrect icon change problem due to icon cache not updating correctly.
Some icons in the following locations are randomly changed to other icons on a computer that is running Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7:
- My Computer
- Windows Explorer
- Quick Launch bar
This issue occurs because the icon cache is not updated correctly.
To fix this problem, follow these steps:
1. Close all open windows if a Close Open Programs Interaction dialog box is displayed.
2. Verify the Max Cached Icons string value that locates in the following registry subkey equals to 2000:
3. Delete IconCache.db that locates in the following path:
%userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data
Windows Vista or Windows 7
PS: You can download the "Diagnose and repair Windows File and Folder Problems automatically" troubleshooter to automatically fix the problem. To run this troubleshooter, click the Run now button at following link:
Other similar articles that may interest you
- RunMe: Free and Portable Application Launcher for Windows
- Why Microsoft Removed Toolbar Button Icons in New Windows Live Mail Version?
- [Direct Download Link] Full Standalone Offline Installers of Microsoft Internet Explorer 9 (IE9) RTM
- How to Remove nVidia, Intel and Other Display Driver Entries from Desktop Context Menu in Windows XP, Vista and 7
- Everything You Want to Know About Windows 8.1
- [FIX] Error While Burning 46GB Data on BD-R Dual Layer Disc or 23GB Data on BD-R Single Layer Disc in Windows 7