Microsoft Announces Windows 8 and Windows RT “Surface” Tablets
Finally the wait is over! As expected, Microsoft has finally announced its own tablet which will be known as "Microsoft Surface" and will run on Microsoft's upcoming OS "Windows 8".
This new tablet will come in 2 variants:
- Tablet running on Windows 8 Pro edition
- Tablet running on Windows RT
According to Microsoft press release, the tablet running on Windows 8 Pro will come with a third-generation Intel Core processor and the one running on Windows RT will have an ARM processor.
If you don't know about Windows RT, its a new Windows edition specifically created for ARM processors. For more details, please go through this topic.
Surface Tablet for Windows 8 Pro Specifications:
- OS: Windows 8 Pro
- Weight: 903 g
- Thin: 13.5 mm
- Clear: 10.6" ClearType Full HD Display
- Energized: 42 W-h
- Connected: microSDXC, USB 3.0, Mini DisplayPort Video, 2x2 MIMO antennae
- Productive: Touch Cover, Type Cover, Pen with Palm Block
- Practical: VaporMg Case & Stand
- Configurable: 64 GB, 128 GB
Surface Tablet for Windows RT Specifications:
- OS: Windows RT
- Weight: 676 g
- Thin: 9.3 mm
- Clear: 10.6" ClearType HD Display
- Energized: 31.5 W-h
- Connected: microSD, USB 2.0, Micro HD Video, 2x2 MIMO antennae
- Productive: Office 15 Apps, Touch Cover, Type Cover
- Practical: VaporMg Case & Stand
- Configurable: 32 GB, 64 GB
Surface tablet will sport a full-sized USB port and a 16:9 aspect ratio for HD. The casing of Surface is created using a unique approach called VaporMg which helps in creating the Surface tablet thin, light and rigid/strong.
Microsoft tablet will also feature a built-in kickstand. The kickstand is there when needed, and disappears when not in use, with no extra weight or thickness.
It'll also come with a 3 mm Touch Cover which senses keystrokes as gestures, enabling you to touch type significantly faster than with an on-screen keyboard. Touch Cover clicks into Surface via a built-in magnetic connector, forming a natural spine like you find on a book, and works as a protective cover. You can also click in a 5 mm-thin Type Cover that adds moving keys for a more traditional typing feel.
The prices are not announced yet but according to Microsoft, suggested retail pricing will be announced closer to availability and is expected to be competitive with a comparable ARM tablet or Intel Ultrabook-class PC.
Surface for Windows RT will release with the general availability (GA) of Windows 8, and the Windows 8 Pro model will be available about 90 days later. Both will be sold in the Microsoft Store locations in the U.S. and available through selected online Microsoft Stores.
Check out following official video from Microsoft showing Surface tablet:
Interested people can download official Microsoft Surface tablet specification sheet using following link:
Download Link: microsoft.com/global/surface/en/us/renderingassets/surfacespecsheet.pdf
So what do you think about this new Surface tablet from Microsoft? To be honest, it looks quite interesting. Lets wait for its release and pricing details...
Other similar articles that may interest you
- Microsoft Offers a Way to Prevent Automatic Windows 10 Upgrade on Windows 7 Computers
- Download Dark Basic Theme for Windows 7
- Copy or Write Bootable IMG Files to USB Drives Using Win32 Disk Imager
- How to Disable Display of Recent Search Entries in Windows 7 and Later Explorer Search Box?
- How to Open .Hlp Files in Windows Vista, 7 or 8 Which Require Windows Help Program (WinHlp32.exe)?
- [Tip] Remove “Scan with Windows Defender” Option from Context Menu in Windows 10