mDesktop: Free Lightweight Utility to Create Multiple Virtual Desktops in Windows
Although Windows OS comes with lots of useful features built-in but many times we need to use 3rd party software to bring some essential features to Windows which are missing by default.
Multiple virtual Desktop is one of such kind of missing features in Windows. No Windows version comes with this feature and interested people always need to depend upon 3rd party utilities.
Today we are going to share a free and very lightweight utility which provides this awesome feature in Windows.
"mDesktop" is a free utility for Windows which allows you to enjoy multiple virtual Desktops in Windows XP, Vista and 7. It might also work in Windows 8 Developer Preview but we didn't check it.
By default, mDesktop provides 4 virtual Desktop sand you can cycle thought them using ALT+1, ALT+2, ALT+3 and ALT+4 key combinations. You can increase number of virtual Desktops using mDesktop Settings. It allows you to create up to 10 virtual Desktops.
You can change the keyboard shortcut to cycle though virtual Desktops from its Settings as well. You can replace ALT key with CTRL or SHIFT keys.
This tool also allows you to move program windows from one virtual Desktop to another. You can use CTRL+ALT+Desktop_number keyboard shortcut for this task. For example, you have one program window in virtual Desktop 2 and you want to move it to virtual Desktop 3, then click on the program window to make it active and press CTRL+ALT+3 keys together. It'll immediately move that program window to virtual Desktop 3.
You can access its Settings by right-clicking on its system tray icon, It also allows you to hide its system tray icon. If you want to put its icon back in system tray, press CTRL+ALT+M keys together.
You can download this free tool using following link:
Thanks to our reader "Ashish" for sharing it...
Other similar articles that may interest you
- MailBrowserBackup: Backup Your Web Browsers and Email Clients Profiles
- [Fix] Drives Appearing Twice in Navigation Pane of Windows 10 Explorer “This PC”
- [Opera Tip] Disable Automatic Detection and Removal of Duplicate Bookmarks
- [Windows 7 Fix] Deleting 1000+ Files in a Single Batch Deletes them Permanently and doesn’t Put them in Recycle Bin
- Download Windows File Protection (WFP) Service Patcher or Switcher
- How to Get URL Bar and Tab Bar in Same Row in Mozilla Firefox Similar to Internet Explorer?