Now almost everyone is aware of new Start Screen introduced in Windows 8 OS. Its a replacement of the old Start Menu present in Windows OS. It shows live tiles of installed programs as well as built-in system tools. Some people love it but some are not very comfortable with it.
As usual the new Start Screen in Windows 8 is not very customizable. There are a few built-in background images available to choose from and a few built-in color schemes, that's all. There is no option given to apply your desired wallpaper as background image in Start Screen.
Today in this topic, we are going to share an absolutely free software to tweak and customize Windows 8 Start Screen. "Windows 8 Start Screen Customizer" is a free tool for Windows 8 created by "vhanla" @ DA which allows you to customize Start Screen in Windows 8.
This freeware allows you to:
- Change Windows 8 Start Screen background image
- Change number of rows of tiles in Windows 8 Start Screen
- Customize transparency / opacity of Start Screen and tiles
- Set current Desktop wallpaper as Start Screen background
- Set multiple images slideshow as Start Screen background
The best thing of this tool is that it doesn't modify any system file to change the background image. It just paints the new background over the default background image.
You can select your desired wallpaper as background image using the "Load Picture" button. You can also select which portion of the wallpaper should be visible on Start Screen by adjusting the image placeholder using your mouse.
Following is a preview of the Windows 8 Start Screen having new modified background image:
Apart from changing background image, you can also change number of rows of tiles visible at Start Screen. You can increase or decrease the number of tiles. Please keep in mind that maximum number of rows depends upon your screen resolution.
One of the most impressive and interesting feature present in this freeware is the ability to put transparency in Start Screen. You can adjust the opacity of Start Screen and tiles using the sliders. You can make the Start Screen background see through.
You'll need to select "Run at startup" option if you want to see your desired wallpaper each time you log into Windows 8.
Interested people can download this free tool using following link:
Download Windows 8 Start Screen Customizer
UPDATE: It seems the software has been removed by the developer. You can try a similar software from Stardock called "Decor8" which also allows you to tweak and customize Windows 8 Start Screen. It can change Start Screen background, number of rows of tiles and a few other things. You can check out the software details at following link:
Other similar articles that may interest you
- [Fix] Desktop Tile Missing from Windows 8 Start Screen, Can’t Add from All Apps Page
- How to Use All New Internet Explorer Platform Preview Build Features in IE Public Beta Build?
- How to Get Rid of Too Much White Space in Microsoft Office 2013? Switch to New Gray Color Themes
- Reclaim Free Space by Removing Unnecessary Files After Installing Service Pack 1 (SP1) in Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2
- [AIO] Complete Tutorial to Customize Desktop Context Menu in Windows XP Using Resource Hacker
- Download Microsoft Office 2010 and SharePoint 2010 Service Pack 2 (SP2) Public Beta