Here is another interesting topic for Resource Hacker lovers. In this topic, we are going to mention a few system files in Windows 7 which can be modified to change look of various Windows components like login screen, dialog boxes, menus, etc.
You'll need Resource Hacker to modify these files.
So here is a list of various system files in Windows 7 which can be easily customized using Resource Hacker:
Approx. all Windows 7 system icons -> %windir%\System32\imageres.dll
Yellow Shield icon -> %windir%\System32\imageres.dll
Login Screen Background -> %windir%\System32\imageres.dll
Login Screen image resources -> %windir%\System32\authui.dll
Startup Sound -> %windir%\System32\imageres.dll
Start ORB images -> %windir%\Explorer.exe -> Bitmap -> 6801 - 6812
Windows Version Image in "About Windows" dialog box -> %windir%\Branding\Basebrd\basebrd.dll
Windows Version Image in bottom of Login Screen -> %windir%\Branding\Basebrd\basebrd.dll
Control Panel Left Sidebar Image -> %windir%\System32\Shell32.dll -> Bitmap -> 632 & 633
Getting Started (aka Welcome Center) Images -> %windir%\System32\oobefldr.dll
Laptop Battery Meter image resources -> %windir%\System32\batmeter.dll
Internet Explorer 8 (IE8) Resources -> %windir%\System32\ieframe.dll
Windows Media Player 12 (WMP12) Resources -> %windir%\System32\wmploc.dll
Above mentioned system files/locations are new to Windows 7 and were not present in earlier Windows versions, like XP. If you want to change look of other menus, dialog boxes like RUN, Progress, System Properties, Start menu, Taskbar Properties, etc, you'll have to edit some other system files which you needed to edit in Windows XP. But there is a little difference, now those files don't contain the resources but their .MUI files do.
For example in Windows XP, RUN dialog box resources were present in "%windir%\System32\Shell32.dll" file but in Windows 7, the resources are present in "%windir%\System32\en-US\Shell32.dll.mui" file.
All these .MUI files are present in any of following 2 locations:
To know about other system files which are same for all Windows versions and contain resources of various dialog boxes, menus, etc, you'll need to visit following links:
All these file names and resource locations are same in Windows XP, Vista and 7.
NOTE: After modifying and replacing .MUI files, you'll need to run mcbuilder command to see the desired changes. Do as following:
1. Click on "Start button -> All Programs -> Accessories". Right-click on "Command Prompt" and select "Run As Administrator". If you are prompted to enter password, enter the password and continue. You can also open Command Prompt in Administrator mode by typing "cmd" in Start Menu Search box and press "Ctrl+Shift+Enter".
2. Now type mcbuilder and press Enter. Wait for a few seconds to finish the command process and then restart your system.
Other similar articles that may interest you
- How to Disable Numerical File Name Sorting and Enable Classic Literal Sorting in Windows XP, Vista and 7 Explorer?
- MetroController: Free Utility to Disable Metro UI, Start Screen and Windows Explorer Ribbon UI in Windows 8
- Ultimate Collection of the Best Free Tools to Get Classic Start Menu Back in Windows 7
- Download Free Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool from Microsoft
- Internet Explorer 10 Allows to Switch Between IE5, IE7, IE8 and IE9 Rendering Modes
- How to Show More Websites On Internet Explorer 9 (IE9) New Tab (about:tabs) Page?