Microsoft has released a new update "KB971033" for Windows 7 users. It updates the activation and validation components in Windows Activation Technologies for Windows 7.
Windows Activation Technologies helps you confirm that the copy of Windows 7 that is running on your computer is genuine. Additionally, Windows Activation Technologies helps protect against the risks of counterfeit software. Windows Activation Technologies in Windows 7 consists of activation and validation components that contain anti-piracy features.
- Activation is an anti-piracy technology that verifies the product key for the copy of Windows 7 that is running on your computer. The product key is a 25-character code that is located on the Certificate of Authenticity label or on the proof of license label. These labels are included with each genuine copy of Windows. A genuine product key can only be used on the number of computers that are specified in a software license.
- Validation is an online process that enables you to verify that the copy of Windows 7 that is running on your computer is activated correctly and is genuine.
This update for Windows Activation Technologies helps detect validation errors and activation exploits. This update also detects any tampering attempts made to important Windows 7 system files. Be aware that some counterfeit copies of Windows include malware.
When this update is installed, it performs a validation process for the copy of Windows that is running on your computer. However, this validation process does not affect the functionality of Windows. The update process exits silently if it detects no validation errors, activation exploits, or tampered files.
If the update discovers a tampered file, it tries to restore the file. This restore may require a restart. If this update cannot restore the tampered files, it will direct you more information on the Internet.
If a validation error or activation exploit is detected, you will be directed to more information on the Internet for resolution of the activation exploit or the validation error. When validation errors or activation exploits are removed, you may be asked to use a valid product key to activate the copy of Windows 7 that is running on your computer. If you decide not to resolve the validation error or the activation exploit at that time, you will be periodically notified that the copy of Windows 7 that is running on your computer is not genuine. Additionally, Windows will provide a link to more information online for resolution.
This update package is available through Windows Update and Microsoft Download Center.
Download Link (64-bit)
Other similar articles that may interest you
- Get Windows XP Style Classic “All Programs” List in Start Menu of Windows Vista and Windows 7
- How to Remove “Send Feedback” Link in Windows 7 Beta?
- How to Remove “Branding Logo” and “Ease of Access” (Accessibility) Button from Windows Vista and 7 Login Screens?
- Download Windows 7 Beta Build 6936 Default Desktop Wallpaper
- Enable Hidden Secret “Debug” Menu in Microsoft “Solitaire” Game in Windows Vista and 7
- How to Get Drive Capacity Bar aka HDD Meter Back in Windows Vista and 7 Explorer?