iKill: Another Tool to Remove Suspicious “Autorun.inf” Files from USB Drives
We have recently blogged about "Autorun Eater" which can remove suspicious "Autorun.inf" file from USB drives to prevent your system from virus infection.
Thanks to AskVG reader "shmx" for mentioning about another utility "iKill" which does the same job.
"iKill" works by scanning the drives for the presence of removable drives. If found, it parses the "Autorun.inf" file for the executables it may run. If AutoProtect is enabled, it will automatically delete the files present on the drive otherwise, you will be asked if you want the suspected files deleted.
In general a USB drive of any kind, a pendrive, ipod, mp3 Players, mobile phones, all may contain viruses. They just act as carriers, the viruses/trojans exploit the autorun.inf file to execute themselves whenever you try to open the drive by double clicking. They even may shadow the Open, Explore, Search, etc, other features using the shell commands.
There is no use of the autorun.inf in you removable drive. (It is rarely used by some applications to provide some added functionality, like the Wireless Config tool to help setup a home network. But, the applications are limited.) , you can safely delete it.
It also displays all the current running processes along with its user, memory usage and full path. It is useful for finding and killing currently running processes (viruses/trojans). To use the 'Kill' feature you'll need to enable the "Enable Advanced Options" in the Settings Tab.
Power users can also use following options given in "Tools" tab:
- Enable/Disable Registry Editor
- Enable/Disable Task Manager
- Enable/Disable Folder Options
- Fix "Hide Files and Folders" options in Folder Options
- Enable/Disable autorun.inf functionality
- Restart Windows Explorer
- Force Restart System
It supports Windows 98, 2000, XP, Server 2003, Vista, Server 2008 and 7. You'll need .NET Framework 2.0 or higher to install this application in Windows 98, 2000 and XP.
You can download it using following link:
The website is no longer available but you can download following similar software:
Other similar articles that may interest you
- How to Select Multiple Tiles and Show Bottom App Bar on Start Screen in Windows 8.1 Update 1?
- Microsoft Office 2013 Releases to Manufacturing (RTM), GA on January 29, 2013
- Download “Google Android” Theme for Sony Ericsson Mobile Phone
- [Tip] Get Rid of White Titlebars in Windows 10
- [Windows 10 Tip] Rearrange or Add/Remove Quick Actions in Action Center
- Run Editor 2.1: Freeware to Directly Launch a Program by Typing its Name in RUN Dialog Box in Windows