[IE11 Review] List of Features That Have Been Removed or Added in Internet Explorer 11
Most of us know that Microsoft's upcoming OS Windows 8.1 will come with Internet Explorer 11 version. If you want to test IE11 now, you can download and install free public preview of Windows 8.1 using following link:
If you don't want to install Windows 8.1 Preview, you can install recently released IE11 version in Windows 7 from following link:
Internet Explorer 11 will come with many new features such as improved performance and security, faster page loading, support for new web standards, WebGL support, etc. But did you know there are a few features which have been removed from IE11?
Today in this topic, we'll try to list all features which have been removed from IE11 as well as features that have been added to IE11. So without wasting time lets share the features list:
1. Enable Tabbed Browsing
This option was present under "Internet Options -> General-> Tabs". In previous IE versions, users were allowed to enable or disable tabbed browsing functionality by checking or unchecking "Enable tabbed browsing" option. But this option has been removed from IE11.
2. Automatically recover from page layout errors with Compatibility View
This option was present under "Internet Options -> Advanced -> Browsing" section. It was used to enable "Compatibility View" in Internet Explorer to view incompatible websites properly. Some older websites do not support new web standards and look different in new web browser versions. That's why compatibility view was introduced in Internet Explorer so that it can open those incompatible websites properly as if they were opened using older versions of IE. IE11 doesn't come with this option.
3. Enable websites to use the search pane
This option was also present under "Internet Options -> Advanced -> Browsing" section. This option was used to allow websites to show their content in old search pane which was present in older versions of IE. This option has been removed from IE11.
4. Load sites and content in the background to optimize performance
Its a new option which has been added to IE11. This option helps in improving page loading speed by prefetching website content in background.
You can read more about it at following link:
5. Reuse windows for launching shortcuts (when tabbed browsing is off)
This option was also present under "Internet Options -> Advanced -> Browsing" section. Since Microsoft has removed option to enable or disable tabbed browsing in IE11, this option doesn't make sense.
6. Use SPDY/3
Its another new option added in IE11. This option allows users to enable or disable the use of SPDY/3 protocol in IE11. SPDY/3 is a network protocol which optimizes network requests latency by compressing, prioritizing and multiplexing them. This option can be found under "Internet Options -> Advanced -> HTTP settings" section.
7. Enable 64-bit processes for Enhanced Protected Mode
Another new and interesting option introduced in IE11. This option allows users to enable or disable 64-bit process for Internet Explorer while running in enhanced protected mode.
This option comes disabled by default but you can enable it using "Internet Options -> Advanced -> Security" section.
If you want greater security, enable this option but if you want greater compatibility, keep the option disabled.
8. Hidden Secret Enterprise Mode
IE11 comes with a secret Enterprise Mode feature to provide better compatibility for older websites. Its not enabled by default but you can activate it using Group Policy Editor or Registry Editor.
Check out following tutorial to learn more about it:
=== === === === === === === === ===
That's all for now. Feel free to share your feedback about new features and removed features in Internet Explorer 11.
NOTE: If you want to remove "Send a Smile" feedback button from IE11 toolbar, check out following tutorials:
- [Tip] Remove "Send a Smile" (Feedback) and Other Toolbar Buttons from Internet Explorer 11 in Windows 10
- [Windows 10 Tip] Registry Tweak to Disable "Send Feedback" (Smiley) Button in Internet Explorer Toolbar
Posted in: Internet Explorer
Other similar articles that may interest you
- Get Windows 8 Metro Style Start Screen in Windows XP, Vista and 7 Using Newgen
- How to Restore Missing “New” or “New Folder” Option in Desktop and Explorer Context Menu in Windows?
- Windows 8 Comes with 2 Flavors of Internet Explorer 10 (IE10): Metro Style App and Desktop App
- [Tip] How to Import/Copy Other Web Browsers Bookmarks in Opera?
- [FAQ] Upgrading to Windows 10 from Non-Genuine Windows
- [Tip] How to Restart Mozilla Firefox With All Opened Tabs