How to Upgrade from Existing Hotmail Account to New Outlook.com Email Account?
Recently we told you that Microsoft has introduced a new email service called "Outlook.com" which comes with many interesting features and a clean Windows 8 style Metro UI:
If you don't have a Hotmail account, you can create a new account at Outlook.com but if you already have an email account at Hotmail including @hotmail.com, @msn.com, @live.com, etc, you can upgrade your existing Hotmail account to new Outlook.com account without any need of creating new account at Outlook.com.
Upgrading from Hotmail account to Outlook.com account includes 2 things:
- Upgrading the web interface only
- Renaming Hotmail account to @outlook.com account
If you only want to upgrade the interface of your email account when you login using a web browser, you can simply do that by visiting outlook.com website and login using your Hotmail account credentials. It'll automatically upgrade your Hotmail account interface to new outlook.com interface.
But if you also want to convert or rename your existing Hotmail account into outlook.com account, you can do it using any of following 2 methods:
- Method 1: By Adding an Alias to your Account
- Method 2: By Renaming your Account
Method 1: By Adding an Alias to your Account
Microsoft allows you to create up to a maximum of 15 aliases to your Hotmail account. You can create up to 5 aliases per year. Aliases are a good way to use different email IDs for different purposes but your Inbox will be always same. You can send and receive emails from all of your aliases without any problem.
To add an alias you just need to follow these simple steps:
1. First log into your email account using outlook.com URL. After login, select Options -> More mail settings option.
2. Now click on "Create an Outlook alias" option given under "Managing your account" section.
3. It'll open the page where you can create an outlook.com alias to your Hotmail account. Just enter your desired email name in "Email address" textbox and click on "Create an alias" button.
4. It'll ask for a confirmation whether you want to receive the new emails in a new folder or an existing folder which is your Inbox. Select the desired option and click on "Done" button.
5. That's it. Your Hotmail account will be upgraded to Outlook.com account immediately.
Please keep in mind that you cannot sign into your email account using the alias. You'll need to continue to use your primary account name to sign in.
Method 2: By Renaming your Hotmail Account
Another way to upgrade from Hotmail account to Outlook.com account is to rename existing email account. When you rename your Hotmail account, your old email account becomes an alias, so you'll still receive email sent to the old account. Please keep in mind that you can rename your account twice every 12 months.
You can use following steps to rename your Hotmail account into Outlook.com account:
1. Similar to method 1, first log into your email account using outlook.com URL. After login, select Options -> More mail settings option.
2. Now click on "Rename your email address" option given under "Managing your account" section.
3. Again similar to creating alias, enter your desired email name in "New Microsoft account" textbox and click on "Save" button.
4. That's it. You Hotmail account will be renamed to Outlook.com account.
Please note that once you rename your account, it'll change your primary account name and you'll need to login using your new account name on all your devices such as your computer, mobile phone, tablet, Xbox, etc.
Windows Phone users should note that you'll need to reset your phone to factory settings and then set it back up with new account name. Also when you reset your phone, you'll lose all your personal data including your apps. So make sure to take a backup of your data before resetting your Windows Phone to factory settings.
If you rename your MSN account, you can't rename it back. If you created your account in one country and are renaming it in a different country, you won't be able to rename it back to your original account unless you travel back to your original country.
How to Switch Back to Old Hotmail Account?
If you don't like the change after upgrading to new Outlook.com account, you can switch back to your old Hotmail account by selecting Switch back to Hotmail option from Options menu.
That's all for now. Are you using Hotmail or new Outlook.com account? How is your experience? Feel free to share your feedback in your comment...
The above information has been provided with the help of an official post from Microsoft Office team...
Posted in: Gadgets & Internet
Other similar articles that may interest you
- [Linux Guides Collection] Everything You Want to Know and Learn about Linux
- How to Disable Charms Bar Hint in Windows 8?
- Create Simple Script to Show / Hide Hidden Files and Folders in Windows
- Personas: New Easy to Install & Easy to Use Skins for Mozilla Firefox
- Google Adds New Minimal Theme to Gmail, How to Instructions Inside
- How to Import (Restore) All Tasks in Bulk Using Task Scheduler in Windows?