How to Update Windows Defender Offline? Install Latest Virus Definition Files Manually
Windows Defender is a free anti-malware tool from Microsoft which can be used to improve your computer system security. Initially it was released with the name "Microsoft AntiSpyware" for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 but later it was renamed to Windows Defender. Windows Defender was released for Windows XP and Server 2003 as a free antispyware program. Later it came included with Windows Vista and Windows 7 operating systems.
But there is a small issue with Windows Defender. It downloads and installs its latest virus definition updates using "Windows Update" program. Many times users can't use Windows Update or don't want to use Windows Update, in such situations they are unable to update Windows Defender with the latest virus definition files.
There might be another situation. If you don't have an Internet connection in your computer system, you can't update Windows Defender as it requires Internet connectivity to download the virus definition files.
To overcome this problem, today in this topic we are going to share official download links for latest virus definition updates for Windows Defender program. These links will allow you to download latest virus definition files which can be stored locally on your computer system or on a USB drive. After that you can manually install those virus definition updates in your computer system or any other computer system and you'll no longer need an Internet connection or access to Windows Update to update Windows Defender.
If you also want to update Windows Defender offline and install its latest virus definition updates manually, just download them using following links:
- Download Latest Virus Definition Updates for Windows Defender (32-bit)
- Download Latest Virus Definition Updates for Windows Defender (64-bit)
- Download Latest Virus Definition Updates for Windows Defender (Itanium based)
Related: What is IA64 or Itanium-based system
Once you download the file, run the downloaded .EXE file and it'll automatically install the latest virus definition files and will update Windows Defender offline without using Internet connection or Windows Update.
NOTE: The above mentioned links should be used for Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 only. If you are using Windows 8 or Windows 8.1, you'll need to download the virus definition updates using the links given in following tutorial as Windows Defender in Windows 8 and 8.1 uses same virus definitions as Microsoft Security Essentials program:
Posted in: Software
Other similar articles that may interest you
- How to Activate Hidden Side Panel Charm Using Keyboard Shortcut in Windows 8 Developer Preview?
- Fix Restart and Shutdown Problems in Windows 8 and Later by Disabling “Hybrid Shutdown” Feature
- How to Type and Use New Symbol of Indian Currency “Rupee” in Programs?
- Start Menu Selector for Windows 8: Toggle Between New Start Menu and Old Start Menu Using Desktop Context Menu
- Explorer Breadcrumbs: Get Windows Vista and Windows 7 Explorer Breadcrumbs in Windows XP
- How to Change Metro Apps Default Installation Location in Windows 8?