How to Update Windows Defender Offline? Install Latest Virus Definition Files Manually
Windows Defender is a free anti-malware tool from Microsoft which can be used to improve your computer system security. Initially it was released with the name "Microsoft AntiSpyware" for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 but later it was renamed to Windows Defender. Windows Defender was released for Windows XP and Server 2003 as a free antispyware program. Later it came included with Windows Vista and Windows 7 operating systems.
But there is a small issue with Windows Defender. It downloads and installs its latest virus definition updates using "Windows Update" program. Many times users can't use Windows Update or don't want to use Windows Update, in such situations they are unable to update Windows Defender with the latest virus definition files.
There might be another situation. If you don't have an Internet connection in your computer system, you can't update Windows Defender as it requires Internet connectivity to download the virus definition files.
To overcome this problem, today in this topic we are going to share official download links for latest virus definition updates for Windows Defender program. These links will allow you to download latest virus definition files which can be stored locally on your computer system or on a USB drive. After that you can manually install those virus definition updates in your computer system or any other computer system and you'll no longer need an Internet connection or access to Windows Update to update Windows Defender.
If you also want to update Windows Defender offline and install its latest virus definition updates manually, just download them using following links:
- Download Latest Virus Definition Updates for Windows Defender (32-bit)
- Download Latest Virus Definition Updates for Windows Defender (64-bit)
- Download Latest Virus Definition Updates for Windows Defender (Itanium based)
Related: What is IA64 or Itanium-based system
Once you download the file, run the downloaded .EXE file and it'll automatically install the latest virus definition files and will update Windows Defender offline without using Internet connection or Windows Update.
NOTE: The above mentioned links should be used for Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 only. If you are using Windows 8 or Windows 8.1, you'll need to download the virus definition updates using the links given in following tutorial as Windows Defender in Windows 8 and 8.1 uses same virus definitions as Microsoft Security Essentials program:
Posted in: Software
Other similar articles that may interest you
- Internet Explorer 10 (IE10) Preview for Windows 7 Coming in November 2012
- BSNL Broadband Service “DataOne” Sending E-mails If You Cross Free Usage Limit
- How to Remove Linux Boot Loader from Startup After Deleting Linux Partitions?
- Download Windows Vista and Server 2008 Service Pack 2 (SP2)
- Best Free Alternatives to Windows Media Center
- How to Get Classic XP Style Network Activity Indicator Back in Windows 7?