How to Uninstall / Remove Custom 3rd Party Themes in Windows?
We here at AskVG post lots of cool themes for Windows and other software regularly. Windows themes can be found in our exclusive Themes and Wallpapers section.
Many times people don't like a downloaded theme and they want to completely uninstall and remove the theme from their systems. Although its not a difficult task but many times people don't have an idea about how to do this?
We receive so many comments in theme articles and receive many emails asking the same question, how to uninstall the theme?
Actually many themes come with automatic installer like our SevenVG, AeroVG themes and the installer copies the theme files automatically so users don't know where are the theme files getting installed.
So today in this simple and easy to follow tutorial, we are going to tell you how to completely uninstall and remove a custom 3rd party theme from Windows:
1. First you should apply default Windows theme using Desktop Properties. Just right-click on Desktop and select Properties (Windows XP) or Personalize (Windows Vista and later) option. It'll open a new window where you can apply default theme.
Now you'll get default look-n-feel in your Windows but if you also want to permanently remove the theme from your system, you'll also need to delete the theme files.
2. Open My Computer and go to following folder:
Note: Here C: is your system drive where Windows is installed in your computer system. If Windows is installed in any other drive in your system, replace C: with the correct drive letter.
Alternatively, you can also type following in RUN or Start Menu search box and press Enter:
It'll open the same folder directly.
3. Now look for a folder and .theme file having the name of the theme which you downloaded. For example, if you installed our AeroVG Se7en theme in Windows 7, you'll get a folder "AeroVG Se7en RTM" and a file "AeroVG Se7en RTM.theme" in Themes folder.
Select the folder and .theme file and delete them.
NOTE: If you face permission problem while deleting files, you'll need to take ownership of theme's file and folder using following tutorial:
- [Tip] Add "Take Ownership" Option in Files and Folders Context Menu in Windows
- [Guide] How to Take Ownership (Permission) of a File or Folder Manually in Windows?
You can also try to restart your system and you'll be able to delete theme's file and folder.
4. That's it. After deleting them, you'll get rid of the 3rd party theme completely and it'll not appear in Desktop Properties window.
We hope it'll help people in easily uninstalling custom themes in Windows...
Other similar articles that may interest you
- [Fix] KB3093594 Update Causing Email Sync Problems to Windows Live Mail 2012 Users
- [Windows 10 Bug] Internet Explorer Still Points to Classic Windows Update’s WUApp.exe File
- Microsoft Announced Windows 7 Pricing and Upgrade Program Details
- Enable Hidden Secret Control Panel Items in Windows Vista and Later
- How to Install and Use Custom 3rd Party Themes in Windows?
- [SHAREit Tip] Disable Transfer Experience Improvement Program to Improve Privacy