How to Restore Old Behavior of New Tab Page in Google Chrome, Disable Recently Visited Websites Thumbnails and Google Search
Recently Google released a new version of its web browser "Chrome" which comes with many improvements and fixes. One of these improvements is the redesigned "New Tab" page.
The new tab page in new version of Google Chrome contains a big Google logo along with Google search box. It also shows eight thumbnails of your recently or frequently visited websites.
Now many people might have problems with this new change as our readers "Matthew" and "Craig" are having. These two AskVG readers complained about the redesigned new tab page of Google Chrome. They don't want Google Chrome to show their frequently visited websites thumbnails on new tab page.
They asked for a solution to disable these websites thumbnails on new tab page of Google Chrome. So today in this tutorial, we are going to share a solution which will help you in restoring old behavior of Google Chrome's new tab page. It'll remove Google logo, search box and frequently visited websites thumbnails from new tab page.
If you also want to get the old "New Tab" page back in Google Chrome web browser, check out following simple steps:
1. You'll need to access the hidden secret "Chrome Flags" page to disable this new feature. Just type chrome://flags/ in addressbar of Google Chrome and press Enter.
2. It'll open Chrome flags page where you can disable/enable many advanced features. Press "Ctrl+F" keys together to launch find box and type following in the find box:
Enable Instant Extended API
It'll highlight an option with the same name.
Enable Instant Extended API Mac, Windows, Chrome OS
Enables the Instant Extended API which provides a deeper integration with your default search provider, including a renovated New Tab Page, extracting search query terms in the omnibox, a spruced-up omnibox dropdown and Instant previews of search results as you type in the omnibox. #enable-instant-extended-api
The value of the option "Enable Instant Extended API" would be set to "Default".
3. Click on the drop-down box and set its value to "Disabled".
4. At the end click on "Relaunch Now" button and once Google Chrome opens, you'll no longer see frequently websites thumbnails and Google search box in new tab page. You'll have the classic new tab page in Google Chrome.
Thanks to "MegaZone" at official Google Chrome forum for sharing this trick...
Other similar articles that may interest you
- [FIX] Cannot Install New Fonts in Windows, “Install New Fonts” Command Missing from File Menu
- How to Restore Missing “Send To” Menuitem in File and Folder Context Menus in Windows?
- Ultimate Tutorial to Tweak and Customize “Command Bar” in Windows 7 Explorer
- Internet Explorer + Firefox + Google Chrome + Safari = Lunascape
- Add “Restore Ownership to TrustedInstaller” Option in Files and Folders Context Menu in Windows
- Windows Live Hotmail Keyboard Shortcuts List