How to Restore Missing “New” or “New Folder” Option in Desktop and Explorer Context Menu in Windows?
Many Windows users complain about missing "New" menu item in context menu (right-click menu). Whenever they right-click on Desktop or in Windows Explorer, they don't get the "New" option in context menu. Sometimes users get the "New" menu but the "New -> Folder" option is missing in the context menu.
Most of the times this problem occurs due to a 3rd software such as tweaking utility or an old incompatible driver which removes the "New" menu or "New Folder" option by mistake as a result of bad programming by the developer. The software accidentally deletes a required key from Windows Registry which results into the missing "New" or "New Folder" options in context menu.
Sometimes if the Registry key gets corrupted, it might also cause "New" menu disappearing from context menu.
Today in this tutorial, we are going to tell you how to add or enable the "New" menu and "New Folder" option back into Desktop and Explorer context menu. So if you are also facing this problem, follow these simple steps to get menu option back:
1. Type regedit in RUN dialog box and press Enter. Now go to following key:
2. Now create a new key "New" under "ContextMenuHandlers" key.
3. Select "New" key and in right-side pane, set the value of Default to:
4. Close Registry Editor and you'll get the missing "New" option back in context menu.
PS: If you don't want to modify the Registry and want a ready-made Registry script to do the task automatically, download following ZIP file, extract it and then run the extracted .REG file:
It'll ask for confirmation, accept it. It'll immediately restore the missing "New" menu item in context menu of any Windows version you are using.
NOTE: If you have the "New" menu but the "New -> Folder" option is missing in your computer, try following Registry script to restore "New Folder" option in "New" menu:
Other similar articles that may interest you
- How to Create and Install Your Own Custom Themes in Google Chrome?
- How to Integrate Modified System Files in Windows Setup ISO?
- List of Windows Vista System Files to Customize Using Resource Hacker
- Windows 8 Snap Enabler: Free Utility to Force Enable Snap Feature in Windows 8
- [Did You Know] Hidden Secret “DeskBar Options” Tab in Windows 98 Taskbar Properties
- 8 Start: Enjoy Windows 8 Start Screen Style Homepage with Live Tiles in Web Browsers