How to Restore Missing “New” Option in Desktop and Explorer Context Menu in Windows?
Many Windows users complain about missing "New" menu item in context menu (right-click menu). Whenever they right-click on Desktop or in Windows Explorer, they don't get the "New" option in context menu.
Most of the times this problem occurs due to a 3rd software such as tweaking utility or an old incompatible driver which removes the "New" menu by mistake as a result of bad programming by the developer. The software accidentally deletes a required key from Windows Registry which results into the missing "New" option in context menu.
Sometimes if the Registry key gets corrupted, it might also cause "New" menu disappearing from context menu.
Today in this tutorial, we are going to tell you how to add or enable the "New" menu back into Desktop and Explorer context menu. So if you are also facing this problem, follow these simple steps to get "New" menu back:
1. Type regedit in RUN dialog box and press Enter. Now go to following key:
2. Now create a new key "New" under "ContextMenuHandlers" key.
3. Select "New" key and in right-side pane, set the value of Default to:
4. Close Registry Editor and you'll get the missing "New" option back in context menu.
PS: If you don't want to modify the Registry and want a ready-made Registry script to do the task automatically, download following ZIP file, extract it and then run the extracted .REG file:
It'll ask for confirmation, accept it. It'll immediately restore the missing "New" menu item in context menu of any Windows version you are using.
Other similar articles that may interest you
- [Tip] Customize Hidden “Extended Send To” Menu in Windows, Add or Remove Shortcuts
- How to Disable Alphabetical Sorting and Manually Change Order of Start Menu Programs List in Windows 7?
- [Tip] Add Secret “Hide File Names” Option in “View” Menu in Windows Vista and Later
- [MSDN and TechNet Update] Microsoft Releases Windows 8.1 Update
- How to Reset / Remove / Bypass Forgotten BIOS or CMOS Password?
- Transform Windows 7 into Windows Vista, Download Vista Theme for Windows 7