How to Restore Missing “Desktop (create shortcut)” Item in Send To Menu in Windows?
A few people asked solution of this frequently occurring problem, so today I decided to post a simple and detailed solution of this problem.
As we all know about "Send To" menu which appears when we right-click on a file or folder in Windows Explorer. It contains some useful items like "Desktop (create shortcut)" which can create a shortcut of the selected file/folder on Desktop within a few seconds. Its really a useful option.
But sometimes this item gets deleted from "Send To" menu accidentally or intentionally. Following tutorial will help you in restoring this useful item back in "Send To" menu:
1. Type "shell:sendto" in RUN dialog box and press Enter. It'll open "Send To" folder.
2. Now right-click on blank area in the folder and select "New -> Text document". It'll create a text file with the name "New Text Document.txt". Rename this file and set its name to "Desktop (create shortcut).DeskLink".
3. That's it. Now you'll get "Desktop (create shortcut)" option back in "Send To" menu.
NOTE: Make sure "Hide extensions for known file types" option is disabled in "Folder Options", otherwise the second step might not work and the text file will not convert in desktop shortcut item.
This method will only work in Windows XP. It'll not work in Windows Vista and later:
1. Type following command in RUN dialog box:
2. It'll re-create the missing "Desktop (create shortcut) option in "Send To" menu.
This is the simplest method and will work in all Windows versions.
Just download following zip file, extract it and copy the extracted file to "Send To" folder:
To open "Send To" folder, type "shell:sendto" in RUN dialog box and press Enter.
Other similar articles that may interest you
- Smart Desktop: Free Utility to Put Panels with Tabs on Windows Desktop
- Windows 8 Start Menu Toggle: Free Utility to Toggle Between New Start Screen and Old Start Menu
- BitLocker Repair Tool: Recover Encrypted Data from Physically Damaged or Corrupted Hard Disk
- How to Change “Get More Gadgets Online” Link in Windows Vista and 7 Sidebar Gadget Gallery Window?
- Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 System Requirements
- How to Install and Get “Microsoft Office Picture Manager” Back in Office 2013?