How to Restore Missing “Desktop (create shortcut)” Item in Send To Menu in Windows?
A few people asked solution of this frequently occurring problem, so today I decided to post a simple and detailed solution of this problem.
As we all know about "Send To" menu which appears when we right-click on a file or folder in Windows Explorer. It contains some useful items like "Desktop (create shortcut)" which can create a shortcut of the selected file/folder on Desktop within a few seconds. Its really a useful option.
But sometimes this item gets deleted from "Send To" menu accidentally or intentionally. Following tutorial will help you in restoring this useful item back in "Send To" menu:
1. Type "shell:sendto" in RUN dialog box and press Enter. It'll open "Send To" folder.
2. Now right-click on blank area in the folder and select "New -> Text document". It'll create a text file with the name "New Text Document.txt". Rename this file and set its name to "Desktop (create shortcut).DeskLink".
3. That's it. Now you'll get "Desktop (create shortcut)" option back in "Send To" menu.
NOTE: Make sure "Hide extensions for known file types" option is disabled in "Folder Options", otherwise the second step might not work and the text file will not convert in desktop shortcut item.
This method will only work in Windows XP. It'll not work in Windows Vista and later:
1. Type following command in RUN dialog box:
2. It'll re-create the missing "Desktop (create shortcut) option in "Send To" menu.
This is the simplest method and will work in all Windows versions.
Just download following zip file, extract it and copy the extracted file to "Send To" folder:
To open "Send To" folder, type "shell:sendto" in RUN dialog box and press Enter.
- How to Restore Missing "Compressed (zipped) Folder" Item in Send To Menu in Windows?
- How to Restore Missing "Send To" Menuitem in File and Folder Context Menus in Windows?
Other similar articles that may interest you
- [FIX] WinRAR Causes Wide Context Menu Problem in Windows
- List of Free Tools to Get Classic Start Menu Back in Windows 7
- Create Bootable USB Drive or DVD of Windows Setup Using “Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool” from Microsoft
- Download Windows 7 Theme for Sony Ericsson Mobile Phone
- Get 200GB of Free OneDrive Storage Using Bing Rewards and Dropbox Account
- Revealing 3 Hidden Secret Modes in Google Android Mobile Phones