How to Remove “Security” Tab from Files and Folders Properties Windows?
Whenever we want to get details of a file or folder such as file type, size, date of creation, owner, etc, we open its "Properties" window and get the desired details. We also access file or folder's properties window to change its attributes such as read-only, hidden, etc.
"Properties" window of a file or folder also contains an extra tab called "Security". This tab allows you to change owner of the file or folder. It also allows you to modify permissions such as full control or limited control over the selected file or folder as shown in following tutorial:
Sometimes you may want to restrict users from changing ownership or permissions for any file or folder in Windows. In other words, you may want to completely remove "Security" tab from file and folder properties window so that no one can change security settings of any file or folder in your computer system.
Recently similar question was asked by our reader "Mohamed Nabil". He wanted to restrict "Security" tab from properties of all file and folders in Windows.
Today in this tutorial we are going to share a simple Registry tweak which will allow you to disable "Security" tab in files and folders properties windows as shown in following screenshot:
If you also want to remove "Security" tab from files and folders properties window, just check out following simple steps:
1. Type regedit in RUN dialog box and press Enter. It'll open Registry Editor.
2. Now go to following key:
3. In right-side pane, create a new DWORD NoSecurityTab and set its value to 1
That's it. It'll immediately remove "Security" tab from all files and folders properties window. If it doesn't remove the tab, you can log off, restart your system or restart Explorer.
4. In future whenever you want to re-enable "Security" tab, simply change the value of NoSecurityTab to 0 or delete the DWORD.
This method will work in all Windows versions such as Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, 8 and 8.1.
Other similar articles that may interest you
- [Fix] Windows 7 Boot Screen Changed to Vista Style
- List of Important Changes from Windows 7 Beta to Release Candidate (RC)
- [Tip] Activate Hidden Secret “Retail Demo Mode” in Windows 10
- [Tip] Disable Search Suggestions in Addressbar Results of Mozilla Firefox
- Download “AeroVG Se7en” Theme for Windows 7
- Google Adds New “Preview Pane” Feature to Gmail Similar to Microsoft Outlook and Windows Live Mail