How to Remove “Computer” from Windows Explorer Navigation Pane?
This tutorial will help you in removing "Computer" item from the Navigation pane in Windows 7 or later as shown in following screenshot:
Simply follow these simple steps:
1. Type regedit in RUN or Start search box and press Enter. It'll open Registry Editor.
2. Now go to following key:
3. Now you'll need to create a new DWORD value "Attributes" in right-side section. But Windows will not allow you to create it as you won't have proper permissions. So take ownership of ShellFolder key with the help of this guide.
4. Now create a new DWORD value "Attributes" in right-side section and set its value to b094010c
5. That's it. Log off or restart your system and "Computer" will no longer present in Explorer window.
If you want to restore "Computer" in Navigation pane, simply delete "Attributes" DWORD created in step 4.
NOTE: If you are using 64-bit edition of Windows, you may notice that Computer icon is still present in "Browse" dialog box such as Save, Save as or Open in some 3rd party 32-bit programs. To remove Computer icon from there, you'll need to perform the same steps in following key as well:
Just go to above mentioned key, take ownership of the key and in right-side pane, create a new DWORD Attributes and set its value to b094010c to remove Computer icon.
Posted in: Windows 7
Other similar articles that may interest you
- 2 Hidden Secret Features of Windows 10 Start Menu
- Google Toolbar Discontinued for Mozilla Firefox 5.0 and Newer Versions
- How to Restore “Close Multiple Tabs” Warning Message (Confirmation Prompt) in Internet Explorer?
- Master Tutorial to Make Windows 7 Super Fast
- How to Get Windows 8 Metro Style Start Menu (Charms Bar) with Clock in Windows 7?
- Microsoft Provides Windows 8 Developer Preview Product Key