Many times Windows XP starts showing common tasks (Details Pane) on Desktop. Normally common tasks are shown in left-side of Windows Explorer window but sometimes the same thing starts showing on Desktop. It becomes very irritating because it overlaps the desktop wallpaper and doesn't look good.
Its a known bug in Windows XP and it happens when the desktop.htt file entry in registry gets corrupted. Windows XP considers Desktop as a normal folder and shows common tasks on Desktop just like other folders.
Following screenshot shows this bug in action:
If you are also facing this problem, following solution will help you in fixing the problem:
METHOD A: Using Registry Editor
1. Type regedit in RUN dialog box and press Enter. Now go to:
2. In right-side pane, set value of "PersistMoniker" to:
3. That's it. Log off and log on again. It'll fix the problem.
METHOD B: Using Ready-Made Registry Script
1. Download following ZIP file, extract it and run the extracted .REG file:
2. Log off and log on again. It'll fix the problem.
Other similar articles that may interest you
- How to Disable Animation in Tab Groups (Panorama) in Mozilla Firefox
- [Did You Know] Google Chrome Allows You to Pin Website Shortcuts on Windows Taskbar, Start Menu and Desktop
- How to Fix User Folders Glass Icons Changed to Default Yellow Icons in Windows Vista?
- Get Windows 8 Look-Like Ribbon UI in Windows XP, Vista and 7 Explorer using Styler Skin
- Try Again Extension for Mozilla Firefox: Keeps Loading the Page When Server Not Found
- ViGlance: Get Windows 7 Look-Like Taskbar in Windows XP and Vista