Many times Windows XP starts showing common tasks (Details Pane) on Desktop. Normally common tasks are shown in left-side of Windows Explorer window but sometimes the same thing starts showing on Desktop. It becomes very irritating because it overlaps the desktop wallpaper and doesn't look good.
Its a known bug in Windows XP and it happens when the desktop.htt file entry in registry gets corrupted. Windows XP considers Desktop as a normal folder and shows common tasks on Desktop just like other folders.
Following screenshot shows this bug in action:
If you are also facing this problem, following solution will help you in fixing the problem:
METHOD A: Using Registry Editor
1. Type regedit in RUN dialog box and press Enter. Now go to:
2. In right-side pane, set value of "PersistMoniker" to:
3. That's it. Log off and log on again. It'll fix the problem.
METHOD B: Using Ready-Made Registry Script
1. Download following ZIP file, extract it and run the extracted .REG file:
2. Log off and log on again. It'll fix the problem.
Other similar articles that may interest you
- Microsoft Introduces Touch Pack for Windows 7
- Get Transparent Context Menus in Windows XP, Vista and 7
- [Nightly Update] Mozilla Testing Electrolysis (e10s) Functionality in Firefox 35.0 Build
- [Tip] Customize Number of Recent Documents and Show Them in Left Sidebar of Microsoft Office Programs
- Download SevenVG Black RTM Theme with Normal Thin Taskbar for Windows XP
- How to Restore About:Config Warning Message (Confirmation Prompt) in Mozilla Firefox?