How to Remove Annoying Common Tasks (Details Pane) from Desktop in Windows XP?
Many times Windows XP starts showing common tasks (Details Pane) on Desktop. Normally common tasks are shown in left-side of Windows Explorer window but sometimes the same thing starts showing on Desktop. It becomes very irritating because it overlaps the desktop wallpaper and doesn't look good.
Its a known bug in Windows XP and it happens when the desktop.htt file entry in registry gets corrupted. Windows XP considers Desktop as a normal folder and shows common tasks on Desktop just like other folders.
Following screenshot shows this bug in action:
If you are also facing this problem, following solution will help you in fixing the problem:
METHOD A: Using Registry Editor
1. Type regedit in RUN dialog box and press Enter. Now go to:
2. In right-side pane, set value of "PersistMoniker" to:
3. That's it. Log off and log on again. It'll fix the problem.
METHOD B: Using Ready-Made Registry Script
1. Download following file, extract it using 7-Zip or any other file archive utility and run the extracted .REG file:
2. Log off and log on again. It'll fix the problem.
Other similar articles that may interest you
- How to Fix “Windows NT Setup Files Detected” Error Message While Running UXTheme Patcher in Windows XP
- Play Popular Game “Angry Birds” on Any Website Using Your Web Browser
- Download Portable Version of Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome and Opera Web Browsers
- What Should Microsoft Change in Windows 8 to Make All Users Happy?
- [Fix] Start Menu Recent Items List and RUN MRU List is Always Empty When User Logs On
- Keyboard Shortcuts List for Windows Media Player in Windows 7