Many times Windows XP starts showing common tasks (Details Pane) on Desktop. Normally common tasks are shown in left-side of Windows Explorer window but sometimes the same thing starts showing on Desktop. It becomes very irritating because it overlaps the desktop wallpaper and doesn't look good.
Its a known bug in Windows XP and it happens when the desktop.htt file entry in registry gets corrupted. Windows XP considers Desktop as a normal folder and shows common tasks on Desktop just like other folders.
Following screenshot shows this bug in action:
If you are also facing this problem, following solution will help you in fixing the problem:
METHOD A: Using Registry Editor
1. Type regedit in RUN dialog box and press Enter. Now go to:
2. In right-side pane, set value of "PersistMoniker" to:
3. That's it. Log off and log on again. It'll fix the problem.
METHOD B: Using Ready-Made Registry Script
1. Download following file, extract it using 7-Zip or any other file archive utility and run the extracted .REG file:
2. Log off and log on again. It'll fix the problem.
Other similar articles that may interest you
- How to Remove Watermark (Build Number Info) from Desktop in Windows Vista, 7 and Server 2008?
- How to Fix Broken Incompatible Extensions in Mozilla Firefox and Make Them Compatible With Newer Versions?
- Transform Windows XP into Windows 7 without using Customization Pack
- How to Pin Any File, Folder or Program Shortcut to Windows 8 and Later Start Screen?
- Microsoft Provides Windows 8 Developer Preview Product Key
- Download Free Windows 8 RTM 90-day Trial Version