How to Remove Annoying Common Tasks (Details Pane) from Desktop in Windows XP?
Many times Windows XP starts showing common tasks (Details Pane) on Desktop. Normally common tasks are shown in left-side of Windows Explorer window but sometimes the same thing starts showing on Desktop. It becomes very irritating because it overlaps the desktop wallpaper and doesn't look good.
Its a known bug in Windows XP and it happens when the desktop.htt file entry in registry gets corrupted. Windows XP considers Desktop as a normal folder and shows common tasks on Desktop just like other folders.
Following screenshot shows this bug in action:
If you are also facing this problem, following solution will help you in fixing the problem:
METHOD A: Using Registry Editor
1. Type regedit in RUN dialog box and press Enter. Now go to:
2. In right-side pane, set value of "PersistMoniker" to:
3. That's it. Log off and log on again. It'll fix the problem.
METHOD B: Using Ready-Made Registry Script
1. Download following file, extract it using 7-Zip or any other file archive utility and run the extracted .REG file:
2. Log off and log on again. It'll fix the problem.
Other similar articles that may interest you
- [FAQ] Things to Know Before Downloading or Installing Windows 8.1 Preview
- Now You can Activate Windows 10 Using Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 Product Key
- How to Enable / Disable Animations in Copy / Move / Delete Dialog Box in Windows Vista and Later?
- Microsoft Details Native Explorer Support for Mounting ISO and VHD Files in Windows 8
- [Fix] KB3093594 Update Causing Email Sync Problems to Windows Live Mail 2012 Users
- Add “Restart uxsms” Option in Desktop and Explorer Context Menu in Windows Vista and Later