How to Remove Annoying Common Tasks (Details Pane) from Desktop in Windows XP?
Many times Windows XP starts showing common tasks (Details Pane) on Desktop. Normally common tasks are shown in left-side of Windows Explorer window but sometimes the same thing starts showing on Desktop. It becomes very irritating because it overlaps the desktop wallpaper and doesn't look good.
Its a known bug in Windows XP and it happens when the desktop.htt file entry in registry gets corrupted. Windows XP considers Desktop as a normal folder and shows common tasks on Desktop just like other folders.
Following screenshot shows this bug in action:
If you are also facing this problem, following solution will help you in fixing the problem:
METHOD A: Using Registry Editor
1. Type regedit in RUN dialog box and press Enter. Now go to:
2. In right-side pane, set value of "PersistMoniker" to:
3. That's it. Log off and log on again. It'll fix the problem.
METHOD B: Using Ready-Made Registry Script
1. Download following file, extract it using 7-Zip or any other file archive utility and run the extracted .REG file:
2. Log off and log on again. It'll fix the problem.
Other similar articles that may interest you
- Download Animated Lightning City Theme (Persona) for Mozilla Firefox
- Put Your Favorite Antivirus, Anti-Spyware and Firewall Apps to the Test
- Trick to Increase Windows Vista Performance / Experience Index upto 9.9
- [Tip] Convert Start Screen into a Full Screen Start Menu (kind of) in Windows 8.1
- Best Method to Backup Mozilla Firefox Bookmarks Without Using Extensions
- List of Best Free Partition Manager Software for Windows