How to Prevent Themes to Change Desktop Icons & Mouse Pointers in Windows 7 and Later?
Windows 7 comes with lots of new themes which can be applied using Desktop Personalize menu. You can also download various themes from Microsoft official Windows 7 Theme gallery using this link.
Almost all these themes come with their own Desktop icons set and mouse cursors which are changed automatically once you apply the theme. But sometimes it becomes a little annoying when a new theme changes your custom icons and cursors automatically without even asking you. So what to do if you want to use your favorite icons and cursors instead of the bundled stuff with the theme. How to prevent themes to change Desktop icons and mouse cursors automatically?
Actually that's very easy. You can customize whether a theme should change icons and cursors or not. You can follow these simple steps:
1. Right-click on Desktop and select "Personalize". It'll open Desktop Personalization window. Now you'll need to click on "Change desktop icons" and "Change mouse pointers" links given in left-side pane.
2. First let's talk about "Change desktop icons" link. Click on it and it'll open "Desktop Icon Settings" window. You'll see a checkbox "Allow themes to change desktop icons" present at the bottom of the window.
Simply uncheck this option and Apply your changes.
3. Now come to the "Change mouse pointers" link. Click on it and it'll open "Mouse Properties" window. You'll again see a checkbox "Allow themes to change mouse pointers" at the bottom of this window.
Uncheck this option and Apply the changes.
4. That's it. Now no theme will change your favorite icons or cursors automatically.
Other similar articles that may interest you
- Run It: Small Utility to Allow Opening of Any Program by Typing its Name in RUN Dialog Box in Windows
- Extra Desktops: Free Utility to Get Multiple Virtual Desktops in Windows XP and Vista
- How to Remove “Libraries” from Windows 7 Explorer Navigation Pane?
- How to Change Windows Update Settings When Managed or Disabled by System Administrator?
- Transform Windows 7 into Windows 8.1 without using Customization Pack
- Best Free Alternatives to Nero CD / DVD Burning Software