Permanently Set and Save Process Priority in Windows Task Manager Using Prio
Do you know "Windows" shares the processor time between all running processes based upon their priority? If a process has higher priority, it gets more processor time compared to a process having lower priority.
But we can change process priority using "Windows Task Manager". Open Task Manager by right-clicking on Taskbar and select "Task Manager" or by pressing "Ctrl+Shift+Esc" keys together.
Once you open Task Manager, go to "Processes" tab, right-click on any running process and change the priority using "Set Priority" menu. You'll notice some system processes are set to "High" priority and almost all 3rd party processes are set to "Normal" by default.
Although you can change the priority according to your requirement, but the priority is not set permanently. Once you restart your system, Windows forgets your custom priority and assigns the process default priority.
So how to set a process priority permanent? Don't worry, here is the solution.
"Prio" is a free for personal use utility which solves the problem. It adds a new option "Save Priority" in context menu:
So now you can save the priority permanently.
It works in Windows XP, Vista and 7. It also adds a few extra features as mentioned below:
- Adds a new tab "Services" which shows the installed processes along with their status
- Adds another new tab "TCP/IP" which shows all established TCP/IP connections and all open ports
- Adds a new option "Silent Elevation" which allows you to execute a software with administrative privileges
You can download it using following link:
Other similar articles that may interest you
- Vize (XPize for Vista): GUI Enhancer for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008
- Download New Redesigned Yahoo! Messenger Desktop App for Windows
- Download and Install Latest Virus Definition Updates Offline in Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE)
- What Happened to the Quick Launch Toolbar in Windows 7?
- WinLaunch: Download Mac OS X Lion “Launchpad” for Windows Vista and 7
- John Background Switcher: Download Free Desktop Background Slide Show Software for Windows