How to Perform Clean Installation of Windows 10 with Activation?
Windows 10 has been released to public and Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 users can upgrade their computers to Windows 10 for free if they are using genuine and activated Windows in their computers.
- Windows 10 Now Available for Download and Free Upgrade
- [Guide] How to Free Upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7 or 8.1
But there are many people including me who like to perform clean installation of a new operating system. The existing Windows version in our computers might be running slow and might contain lots of temporary files and corrupt settings in Windows Registry. Upgrading existing Windows to the new Windows 10 OS might not provide the perfect user experience which we should get if we do a clean install of the new OS.
So how to perform clean installation of Windows 10? Actually there are 2 ways to perform clean install of Windows 10:
- METHOD 1: Using built-in Reset this PC feature
- METHOD 2: Using Windows 10 Media Creation Tool
So without wasting time lets start the tutorial:
METHOD 1: Using Built-in "Reset This PC" Feature
Its a very easy way to perform clean installation of Windows 10. Reset PC feature was introduced in Windows 8. This feature restores Windows to factory settings and removes all 3rd party software programs and user customized settings. So you get a clean Windows installation.
To use this feature to do clean install of Windows 10, follow these simple steps:
1. Open Settings app from Start Menu and click on Update & Security icon.
2. Now click on Recovery section and there you'll see "Reset this PC" option.
3. Click on the option and follow the simple steps such as select "Remove everything" option, etc.
4. That's it. It'll take a few minutes and restart your computer and after a few minutes, you'll have a clean install of Windows 10 in your computer.
No product key or setup disc will be asked during reset process.
METHOD 2: Using Windows 10 Media Creation Tool
There is another way to perform clean install of Windows 10. You can take help of Microsoft's official Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to download Windows 10 setup ISO and create installation media to do a clean install.
1. First download the tool from following link:
2. Now run the tool and select "Create installation media for another PC" option.
3. Now select the desired Windows 10 edition, architecture type and language from the list.
4. Now you can either select bootable USB drive option or save ISO file option according to your requirements.
That's it. The tool will start downloading Windows 10 setup ISO file and will help you in creating bootable USB drive or DVD to install Windows 10.
Once you get the Windows 10 USB drive or DVD, you can boot using this media and perform clean installation of Windows 10.
IMPORTANT NOTE for Windows 10 November Update build 10586 (version 1511):
You can directly perform a clean install of the new Windows 10 build 10586 without doing any upgrade. Microsoft has enabled the use of Windows 7/8/8.1 product key to activate Windows 10 build 10586. So now you can clean install Windows 10 build 10586 and then activate it using your Windows 7/8/8.1 product key as mentioned in following tutorial:
IMPORTANT NOTE for Windows 10 RTM build 10240:
Usually if you perform a clean installation of any Windows version, you'll have to enter its product key to activate Windows. Same thing applies to Windows 10. But you'll not have any product key of Windows 10 with you as you never purchased it. To overcome this issue, you'll need to first upgrade your computer to Windows 10 so that your genuine Windows 7 or 8.1 product key can be associated with Windows 10 activation at Microsoft servers. After upgrade, you can perform clean installation without worries. At installation time, when the setup wizard asks for product key, just click on Skip (or I don't have a product key) option first and then click on Do this later option when asked. Since your previous Windows product key has been associated with Windows 10, your Windows 10 copy will be automatically activated after installation.
Posted in: Windows 10
Other similar articles that may interest you
- Download Windows Vista Skin “Y! Vista Reloaded” for Yahoo! Messenger
- [Fix] New Insider Preview Builds of Windows 10 Not Showing on Windows Update
- 8 Start: Enjoy Windows 8 Start Screen Style Homepage with Live Tiles in Web Browsers
- Glass Toast: Get Longhorn Style Glassy Notification Balloon Popups in Windows XP, 2003 and Vista
- Hidden Secret Trick to Enable / Activate “Aero Glass” in Windows 8 “Aero Lite” Theme
- Microsoft Office 2010 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)