If you are using Windows 7, you might be wondering where are the good ol' "Show Desktop" shortcut and "Quick Launch" toolbar in Taskbar?
Actually "Show Desktop" shortcut has been moved to extreme end of Windows 7 Taskbar in form of a small rectangle and Microsoft has disabled "Quick Launch" toolbar intentionally because the same functionality is provided using the new PIN feature in Windows 7.
But you can enable "Quick Launch" toolbar back in Windows 7 and it'll also contain the good old "Show Desktop" shortcut using following simple steps:
1. Right-click on Taskbar and select "Toolbars -> New toolbar...".
2. It'll open Browse dialog box. Now paste following string in the "Folder:" text box:
%appdata%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch
Press Enter and click on "Select folder" button.
3. It'll immediately add Quick Launch toolbar to Taskbar.
4. Now right-click on Taskbar and uncheck "Lock the taskbar" option.
5. You'll see a placeholder to drag the Quick Launch toolbar.
6. Right-click on the toolbar placeholder and uncheck "Show Title" and "Show Text" options.
7. If you want to increase the icon size, right-click on the toolbar placeholder and enable "View -> Large Icons" option.
8. Drag-n-drop this toolbar to the left of Taskbar.
9. That's it. Now you have the good ol' "Quick Launch" toolbar and "Show Desktop" shortcut back in Windows 7 Taskbar.
Other similar articles that may interest you
- How to Open Mozilla Firefox Searchbox Results in New Tab?
- [Fix] A New Strange Line Appears below Ribbon Toolbar in Windows 8 and 8.1 Explorer
- Hide or Show Windows Taskbar on the Fly
- Add Customized Strings (OEM Information) and Logo in System Properties Dialog Box of Windows XP
- Aura: Get Windows 8 Aero Auto-Colorization Feature in Windows Vista and 7
- How to Fix User Folders Glass Icons Changed to Default Yellow Icons in Windows Vista?