When Microsoft Office 2013 was under development and Microsoft released a free Customer Preview version of Office 2013 to public, people started complaining about too much white space in Office 2013 user interface. Actually Microsoft has tried to use Windows 8 style Metro UI in Office 2013 programs, they have removed the Aero glass from Office ribbon, they have removed gradients, etc to provide a minimal look to Office 2013 programs. But many people were having problems with this new white color scheme.
Now the final RTM version of Office 2013 has been released and TechNet and MSDN subscribers must be already enjoying it. If you are not a subscriber, you can download and test a fully functional trial version of Office 2013 RTM version using following link:
The good news is that after receiving users feedback about the white UI in Office 2013, Microsoft decided to introduce 2 new themes or color schemes in Office 2013 RTM: Light Gray and Dark Gray.
So now Office 2013 users who don't like the white interface of Office 2013, can switch to new Gray color themes and can get rid of the white UI.
To apply these new themes, you can follow these simple steps:
1. Open any Office 2013 program such as Microsoft Word. Now click on File menu present in the ribbon. Then click on Account tab given in left sidebar.
2. It'll open your Office account settings page. Here you can change Office theme. You'll find 3 Office themes available:
- Light Gray
- Dark Gray
3. Select your desired theme from the drop-down box and it'll immediately apply it.
Light Gray Theme in Action:
Dark Gray Theme in Action:
NOTE: Alternatively, you can also apply these new themes using Office Options window as shown in following screenshot:
PS: Microsoft has also added a few new background images in Office 2013 RTM version which can be activated only if you are logged in using a Windows Live ID in Office 2013 programs.
Other similar articles that may interest you
- How to Always Start Your Favorite Web Browser in Private Browsing Mode By Default?
- Office Tabs: Enable Tab Feature in Microsoft Office 2003, 2007 and 2010
- How to Change Registered Owner and Organization Name in Windows?
- How to enable “VIEW” Menu in Desktop Context Menu in Windows XP?
- How to Remove An Item from RUN Dialog Box History / MRU List in Windows?
- How to Create a Fully Automatic Internet Connection in Windows?